Real life realism in games

Started by
28 comments, last by LizardAl 23 years, 7 months ago
Space marines are the hardy lot and very coordinated. They train for months carrying the BFG 25Mill. at full speed up twisted staircases. That''s what they''re best at.

The reason these things aren''t included is (as mentioned before) simplicity. If I were really in that situation, I would have better peripheral vision than a 640x480 monitor can offer, I would know exactly when I''m getting to that first step, and I most certainly can take a staircase at top speed, fully loaded (did it all the time when I was late for class ).

The tired thing is just for fun. I don''t want to have to stop and rest. That mortal element is abstracted away for playability reasons. Yes, I want to make sure I take care of the monsters outside or have some really good way of barring the door. Oh, and if I''ve been lugging the big gun around in my pack the whole time, why do I suddenly not have the strength to hold it in my hand? Adrenaline is a powerful thing.

The point is, I think that 999 out of 1000 players would find tripping and exhaustion in a Quake-style FPS very annoying. But some of these elements are very appropriate in other games, like Rogue Spear (my personal favorite). There''s a reason Quake doesn''t offer a one-shot-kill mode. Nobody wants it (if they do, they play R6 or 007).

We worked fatigue into a recent hunting title, just so you couldn''t go running all over the place (debug mode was fun because you didn''t get tired and could actually run faster than the deer), you also slowed down up hills, couldn''t move with your gun raised, etc. That''s because the point of the game was to provide a realistic hunting experience, not a shoot-em-up bloodbath.

I''m all for realism, but I''m more for fun.

Pax
p
Advertisement
You know, I think Dwarfsoft has a point. If handled carefully, you can get a lot of drama out of having to rest. Think about the best monster movies you''ve seen, when the goodguys have to hole up somewhere to heal wounds and recuperate. James Cameron''s Aliens comes to mind. I don''t know what it is, but there''s a cool, kid-like feeling to having to run and hide in the closet when you''re fighting monsters (err, or maybe that''s just how it works for me-- I hated the gameplay of Enemy Infestation, but I thought it was so cool that you had to lock doors in order to protect your weaker team-mates from becoming monster food...)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on August 29, 2000 4:30:15 PM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Exactly... Imagine the intensity of the experience if you were being hounded by a swarming pack of monsters whom you had just run past? You would be on the edge of your seat and your adrenaline would have overcome your body. You would be frantically doing whatever it takes to escape the feinds... What an experience... You have adrenaline all through your body just because of a few pixels on the screen... That is what I would call an intriguing experience. I have already experienced this before in Diablo/II and Doom II.. What fun

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Wow. I really have to check the boards more than once a day. :-)

I agree that for some players the tired thing would be annoying. That''s why I said it should be a configurable setting. Sort of a stamina-setter from Low to Infinite. So you could have the more strategic players using a tiring scheme, and the action players could run around like normal.

And for the nervous thing, like I said, it would apply to NPC''s too, so the player wouldn''t be at too much of a disadvantage unless they go after advanced enemies early on. And to get rid of the bigger gap between levels, you could just eliminate the levels, and have the nervousness based on just experience and number of recent battles. (The longer it has been since a battle, the more nervous they would be)

Paul (How does magic work in real life?): Touche. :-)

Scott
Lizard Al Productions
One "last" argument from me (hehe)!
Anything can be considered annoying. Isn''t reload time annoying?
Ain''t it annoyng that you can''t accelerate to infinite speed?
Perhaps aiming at the enemy is annoying too to some?

The reason we will get more limitations/physical features and
games like Quake will disappear in history mist is because
of player diversification. That type of games have been reduced
to the matter of who can aim quickest or who has the best-rez
mouse. For me it is simply not funny to play at all anymore.

But if MORE factors influenced gameplay, then different people
could develop different strategies for winning, and even a newcomer could stumble upon some "trick" that make him win over
the pros. You can forget THAT in Quake & Co.
quote:Original post by LizardAl

I agree that for some players the tired thing would be annoying. That''s why I said it should be a configurable setting. Sort of a stamina-setter from Low to Infinite. So you could have the more strategic players using a tiring scheme, and the action players could run around like normal.

That automatically limits it to single-player games, and those players that REALLY have a death wish. Any sensible player would turn off the tiring feature to have the best possible start in the game. There would be a level playing field, because nobody would use the feature if they had any sense.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Maybe you could impose it on them as they got more powerful in the game. At least you could blame it on ''aging''... Your level 50 Paladin informs you "My bones ache, I am not as young as I used to be. I can no longer walk 20 miles barefoot through the snow like a young wippersnapper like you"

*Magically beams back to thread*
Ok, so you go for more and more realism in your game. When it comes time to differentiate your game from everyone else''s what will you say?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Um.. I would say: Our game has a mechanism to stop big chunky bastards from being so cocky. They have a disadvantage as well as all of their advantages . Makes for more even play, and gives newbies an easy way into the game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement