file

Started by
2 comments, last by Thrump 23 years, 7 months ago
I have the source for part of a game, but some of the program is in libs that I can''t view. One function I don''t have the source for is the one where they open the file. The file is unreadable binary. I can get some information from reading the data structure the file is loaded into before and after the load, but I was wondering if there is a better way to see just what is stored in the file... like debugging the code or something.
Advertisement
You can look directly into the file if you use a hex-editor (you can find many at winfiles.com). Warning, though: unless you have a rough idea of what you''re looking for, you won''t be able to make much sense out of it.

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done." - Scott Adams
Your best bet would probably to write off to whoever wrote the library and ask them for the source, assuming there''s a chance that they would be willing to give it to you. Short of that, if you know assembly, you can disassemble the binary and see what you can figure out from it.

random-nomad

[still searching]
Guess what? The code had huge chunks of code commented out. So I went on a crazy spree, deleting it all thinking I''d never need it. Well, guess what was in some of this code... An older version of the function that opens up the file. Thanks for the help.

The hex-editor does come in handy for viewing the file...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement