• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richardve

To: BasKuenen and his awesome Landscape Renderer

This topic is 6614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok, heres the link: right now i don't have a page for it, i'll put one up in the next few mins. btw the texgen i mentioned was made in vb (yuk) and may require some other files (dll,ocx,vxd),
i also see it as somewhat limited in what type of textures it can create (i should probably add somemore options, stratified, more color options exc.)

members.xoom.com/thr33d/e/utils/

-mike

(had to edit to add that / at the end of the address :p)

*ack doesn't read/write raw, i was confused with rgb*
sorry all.

Edited by - thr33d on September 4, 2000 5:29:56 PM

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
too... many... smilies...

making.. me.. crazy..

Guest Anonymous Poster
baskuenen,

Can you please add 1 or 2 example terrains to your program or
maybe as a separate download if they are large files? I can''t
seem to create anything with it and I want to know what something
looks like.

anon:
i'm not baskeueen but i have a link for you-
i believe the generation method is useing a square diamond or square offset (probably second) fractal.

url=http://www.geocities.com/Area51/6902/terrain.html

check out subdivision
then examples

-mike

Edited by - thr33d on September 5, 2000 1:04:44 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t mean a final rendered output or image, I mean an example
file that you can actually load into this program. Nothing is
rendering for me. Maybe my computer is too slow.

quote:
Original post by richardve

Maybe "DreamGenerator" is a nice name?

Have you thought about including objects in the scene?

Thanks for thinking about it, but for the moment I''ll stick with the "lame" one.

Yes, objects could be great. Especially reflecting (mirror) spheres and stuff, and things you can do only/best with raytracing. Maybe I''ll add objects after this landscape rendering is 200% complete
But what kind of objects would you like?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

baskuenen,

Can you please add 1 or 2 example terrains to your program or
maybe as a separate download if they are large files? I can''t
seem to create anything with it and I want to know what something
looks like.

When do downloaded one of the latest versions, there should be a project file included in the zip file. It should be in the "Projects" map to be auto loaded at startup. If this doesn''t work, you could always load the "Standard.dsr" project file manually.
After loading this ready-to-use project, you only have to push the RENDER button (looks like play), and your landscape is generated.

If it still doesn''t work, please say so and I will correct it...

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I don''t mean a final rendered output or image, I mean an example
file that you can actually load into this program. Nothing is
rendering for me. Maybe my computer is too slow.

I''m sorry for the "slow" generator. At the moment it''s precision I''m after - not speed.
After each horizontal line is calculated - it''s displayed. On my computer (P3-450Mhz) it takes about 1min for the complete image to render...
I don''t think your computer is too slow. Please try again with latest update. If it still doesn''t work - I''d very pleased to hear it

quote:
Original post by Thr33d

i''ll have to look at your engine now!
i''m writing in response to the raw file format... i have a prog. (not made by me) which i find very useful and can import/export practally any image format. also (to *argh* can''t spell it!; the guy w/name started with b)
i''ve made a simple texture generator which i''d like to show you
btw if anyone wants the demo of that prog (dos) i''ll upload it an give a url

ttyl
-mike

Sounds interresting Mike - your texture generator. Are you using random numbers, sin/cos or something else? If you want to port it to Win32, I could give you some Win32 snippets, but my VB knowlegde is very poor

I''ve tried the TexGen.exe, but I''m missing "MSVBVM60.DLL" and probably some others. Could you supply them with your program? I really want to try this...

baskuenen: yes, i''ll upload msvbvm60.dll, this file acually comes with several programs, it is also the most frequently requested file needed to run this program. unfortunitly its about 1.5 megs, i''ll zip it though and put it up on the site (about 771k then)

about texgen, nope, just plain int(256 * rnd) i''ll give you some source if you want it after you see the programs output.

-mike

ps go back to members.xoom.com/thr33d/e/utils to get the dll you require, also, if anyone else requires a file, pls tell me and i''ll upload it also.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!