• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Software rendering

This topic is 6442 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to learn software rendering, sort of from the ground up, before I start trying to use any hardware acceleration. I can work my way through the math - vectors, matrices, trig, though I still have to look stuff up as I go along. I believe I could get through doing the various transformations at this point, but I still feel like I''m not getting the overall picture. Some of what I''m asking sounds dumb even to me, so I hope you''ll bear with me. I am, of course, interested in optimization in the long run, but right now I''m just trying to learn and don''t care about speed. I''ve seen articles/tutorials about line filling of solids. I think I understand how to do that. I get the impression that there are better methods than that, but I don''t know what they are. Any information on the next ''higher'' level (or levels) would be appreciated. I''m working in windows and VC++. I could use direct draw or GDI objects to do my drawing. For learning purposes is there any particular reason I should pick one over the other? Is there another option I''m not seeing? And just out of curiosity, is GDI a usable interface in terms of speed for software rendering? Lastly, for now, if I get to where I can do transformations, scaling, rotation, projections, solid filling, texture mapping, some form of lighting, clipping and determination of non-visible objects, is that pretty much the basics? I''m trying to understand where ''basic'' rendering - ignoring performance - ends, and optimization begins. If anybody can enlighten me on any of these areas or point me at a tutorial that would cover some of this, I would really appreciate it. information is the illusion of knowledge

Advertisement
I have a good tutorial in english (and 2 in french but i guess it won''t interest you ). Unfortunately, i lost the URL. But if you''re interested, just send me a mail and i''ll send it to you.

Thanks for responding - I have e-mailed you.

information is the illusion of knowledge

• Advertisement