• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why is my texture coloured ? (OGL)

This topic is 6350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I`m trying to write a short demo in OpenGL that uses texture maps and normal solid colour polygons. But when I`ve set a colour using the color3f() command and then go to use a texture map - the colour tints the texture. I`ve tried setting the colour back to black (background colour) - but that just makes the entire texturemap black. Whats going on ??? Please help - Paul.

Advertisement
Errr....wait up.

Are you just trying to display a texture map, on an object without any colours on the object.

If so then either remove the color3f() or change it to color3f(1.0, 1.0, 1.0).

IF you specify a colour with the object, it will tint the object and texturemaps that colour(i think).

It sounds like your texture environment is set to GL_MODULATE. Try using GL_DECAL (is that right?) instead.

When you modulate, the texel is blended with the polygon colour, but in decal mode, it just overwrites it (or have I gone daft?... don''t answer that )

-------------
squirrels are a remarkable source of protein...

Thanks for the help guys..

changing the colour to white seemed to do the trick !

While ive got your attention, how about this little problem (pretty please)

I`ve got a backdrop made up of a quad square with a texturemap on it far away in the background.

I`ve then got a ship that flys forward.. I`d like to add some fog making it look like its coming out of the dark space - BUT if I use the fog commands it hides the backdrop..

is there a way that I could use the fog but still have my backdrop showing ??

Edited by - pauljg on August 30, 2000 6:16:42 AM

There''s probably a better way than this, but here goes:

Instead of using real fog. Start out with the space ship totaly translucent. Then, as it flies forward fade it in.

disable writes to the depth buffer glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST) or glDepthMask(GL_FALSE); draw the background enable depthtesting again + draw eveything else

• Advertisement