• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectX IM... FPS , making the cut

This topic is 6371 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering if it was possible to make a game like Star Wars Rough Squadron using DirectX IM. Not that advanced yet, but one where you can fly a ship through a 3d world. The reason I ask this is because I have the ship i want to use drawn on the screen and I get about 73 fps. But if i put a small terrain (say even a flat terrain that takes up half the screen) the fps drops to about 34 and if i fly close to it (crash into it from above) the fps drops to like 15. So what''s the deal with DirectX IM and having enough speed to create a game of that sort ?

Advertisement
Are you using hardware accleration? That''s most likely your problem, either you''re in a display mode that your card doesn''t support acceleration in, or you have a really bad or no card

Also, it may be because you''re trying to render too much terrain, lots that might not be visible.

Would you mind posting your system specs so I can give further help?

And, yes, it should be possible to make a game like Rogue Squadron with D3DIM

Hi, I''m using a P II 350 Mhz with MMx,64 Mb RAM, and graphics card is a 3d Rage LT Pro... So how should i do the terrain anyway load the whole thing via .x file or draw it with draw primitive or what? (for good fps)

mate a word of advice dont give a f about the fps it''ll come with time. though a good culling routine never hurt noone

The best way for the terrain culling is to break it up
into distinct sections and test each one - culling those
that aren''t currently visible. Unfortunately this will lead
to problems if you want to try to get a LOD algorithm to
work across areas - where adjoining areas have different
levels. But these can be worked around.

--
Code..reboot..code..reboot..sigh!

DX may automatically change to software mode or made some function in software mode (for example the limit of memory).

rage lt, may have 4 megas and it is very low. So watch the textures.

-eng3d.softhome.net-

The polygon count doesn''t seem to matter, because I create a flat terrain with 2 polys and it runs just as slow as with the same terrain and 50 polys. Does anyone think it has to do with the fact that the terrain was loaded from an .x file ?

That (.x) thing shouldn''t matter...Just try to limit the amount of verts in your level...use drawindexprim() maybe?? instead of the all popular drawprimitive() function that sucks! If you still get crapy results then just try to set up a (.log) file telling you if Direct X is regestering your card or not...you may have screwed up somewhere. Also consider a faster clipping routine

p.s. If anyone is offended by my answers in respect to being too basic...then just remember it is always the stupid reasons why things do not work!

"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I would put shoes on my cat!"- One Great Programmer (Garret Foster)

• Advertisement