Dynamic Sequals

Started by
12 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 7 months ago
I still like games that have NO ending. I LOVE games where there is no point. You can do whatever you want! I''ve only seen the "sim" games from Maxis have no point (in a good way). Has it ever been done in an RPG?
Advertisement
Legend Of Valour did that if I recall. You would be living in a busy town, and you could do pretty much what you wanted. You could get involved with guilds to get quest... I don''t remember it as a very succesful game though.
As well, I can think of Elite, but you couldn''t really consider it an RPG, could you
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote:Original post by C-Junkie

I still like games that have NO ending. I LOVE games where there is no point. You can do whatever you want! I''ve only seen the "sim" games from Maxis have no point (in a good way). Has it ever been done in an RPG?

Depending on how loosely you define RPG, the Mac space-trading game Escape Velocity was very much like this. You could explore, fight, trade, and build up your ship to your heart''s content.

I too really like games that have no ending. I don''t like it when the designer tells me where to go or what to do. I guess I''m just bratty and independent!

(BTW, this is the type of game I''m working on.)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Having no ending and having sequencial endings can be pretty much the same thing if you want. I think its a good idea to allow the player to carry over all of the work that they''d done in the first game over to the second. I would like it if there was some standard game.files which developers could use to allow porting between different games. Like graphics have .jpg or .bmp games could have their own like .rpg or .fps .rts etc... How about a file for characters that you could take from one game and into another.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement