DX to be OS/d ?

Started by
7 comments, last by Jim_Ross 23 years, 7 months ago
A friend (unreliably) told me that MS plans to open source DirectX. I highly doubt that and I''ve heard these types of rumors before about MS open sourcing things. But if it were true, and directx was ported to linux, how would that affect the game development on linux? Would it be embraced as a standard game API just for the sake of cross-platform compatability? Would any of you use it? What sort of APIs help you make games now? Do you feel that any sort of lack of standards, imagined or not, is hurting game development on linux? Finally, what about indrema, any of you planning on making games for that?
Advertisement
DX is very hardware depedent. And this requiered many windows function. There is not easy to port DX to Linux, and how linux have bad hardware support, i don''t see any good change to run DX on linux.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
You're friend is probably lying I _seriously_ doubt that MS will open-source DX (I don't think they'll open-source any of their products).

What's hindering game dev on Linux is probably DX. With DX you can write games that'll work on basically every computer with Windows out there. There's no such thing for Linux, which is a shame. It's much easier to develop with DX and get the game running on a lot of computers than having to use Linux for the game dev...

Even if MS decided to port DX to Linux, they'd probably make it really slow and blame Linux'

What's indrema? Never heard of that.

Edited by - Muzzafarath on August 30, 2000 12:19:12 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
BLAH! never hear of it? It''s some new, dark-horse gaming console that runs linux. I think it''s almost free to get a dev kit / license from indrema to make games for it. But it runs on generic h/w. Like a dreamcast''s cpu is only at 200 MHz, but the h/w is customized and performs better than the standard pc desktop at the same clock speed. The indrema runs only on a 600 MHz x86 processor, I have a 600 x86 processor (32 MB VRAM) and my games still jitter a little when there''s tons of stuff on the screen.

Here are some specs:
http://www.indrema.com/servlet/site?page=l600e_info.html

I would really like it if they could get gcc to compile java on linux for me. Then I would make tons of games for indrema and become a master of computar knowlege.

I think it was on this message board somewhere, someone posted a link to a DX-like multimedia library for linux. But since it isn''t forced with a heavy-hand on everybody, it doesn''t have every distro of linux under it''s umbrella. I guess that''s a weak argument because making someone download libs to play a game doesn''t seem to bother most ms devs (requires Direct X 7.01a)
I''m not in to consoles, that''s why I never heard of Indrema
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
DX Doesn''t have to go "open source" to write for it on Linux. All somebody has to do is implement all the COM interfaces supplied with DX. DX allows this very easy. It''s just that a new version of DX is coming out every year or something so the linux DX version would always be one behind.

Jaap Suter

should produce open sourced DX driver for LINUX - I dont belive they will do it...
If they do open source it, it will probably only work on MSLinux or some crap like that. Although it would be good to start a DX Like project for Linux though. What do you guys think?

C-y''a L8ter

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
[Cyberdrek | ]
You do know that the MS Linux page posted a while back was just a joke right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement