What good are you?

Started by
16 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 7 months ago
quote: Original post by ahw

I am wondering a little bit. how would be the battle view ?

Erm, brace yourself... 3rd person only, as in a typical RPG. I do have a very good reason, though!

My inspiration is Starflight and Sentinel Worlds. In these games, you flew a starship, operated a ground vehicle, and (in SW) walked around on foot.

At present, this is too much to ask for a 1st person 3D engine. The player would also expect each game option to be more detailed for 1st person. Thus, you'd have to implement a 1st person starship sim, a vehicle sim, and a FPS shooter. Way to high of a learning curve.

People already accept RPGs as 3rd person. They might still accept RTS games as 3rd person (if it looks nice enough). 3rd person also gives you a nice level of situation awareness that's damn harder to get in first person. Finally, 3rd person is "lighter," more beer & pretzels, which is sort of what I'm going for.

quote:
If I am a single unit a la Starcraft, then fuc:k that man ... the only time I would accept such a view is if it was a sattelite view and I, the CO, was NOT on the actual battle field.

This is why I'm looking for a compelling reason to be on the battlefield. A reward, or bonus, if you will.

quote:
Except that, I love the idea of being a CO without being as almighty than the commander in Total Annihilation, or as a hero unit in Starcraft. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if the special powers were granted on a scenario basis (that is, the bonus has an explanation consistent with the story). for instance, artifacts are a cool idea, and it is quite normal that leaders get the best material available (armors, guns, etc).

Both inventory and artifacts are part of the design so far. Your character can equip himself with special armor and weapons, or even use alien devices you've researched. These are cool, and will make you a super unit, but I don't want you to have to rely on this before you have fun getting personally involved in struggles.

quote:
any more details ?

Plenty!

My goal is to make you feel like an adventurer in the future. You're in an open ended universe that's dynamically changing as you play. You have a personal presence, can get involved personally in adventures, and experience the universe first hand as an RPG character.

So you begin as an individual with attributes/skills that can be built up. Your control is somewhat similar to Crusader: No Remorse or Diablo.

The extension of this is that your character can pilot various ships and vehicles. (The control scheme remains the same for familiarity and ease, and isn't meant to be as detailed as a sim. Again, think Sentinel Worlds and the cool ground and foot exploration mixed with the space combat.)

Now, if you choose to do so, you can attract a party. Some of these will be heros, and the rest will be "red shirts," like the throwaway guys in Star Trek. In fact, if you imagine that you're a freelance Captain Picard, with about 5 or 6 senior staff being your heros, and the rest of your crew the regulars, you might see what I'm after. (Another example is to imagine playing Darth Vader, and doing all the stuff he got to do.)

How in the heck does this all apply to an RTS? Glad you asked! You can grow both vertically and horizontally. Your character can get stronger, and you can hire help (like in Rage of Mages).
So there are 3 ways to play: Stay solo and beef yourself up (super unit), pull together a small team (RPG party), or raise an army (RTS). You're free to mix and match these styles, btw.

This enough detail? It probably looks unrealistically gigantic, and may be, but I think I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. Basically, if I can do an RTS engine (and I know I can), then a lot of this is in the bag.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on August 31, 2000 7:46:40 PM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
So you play that rich bloke in Sential Worlds who floats around space in his space yacht or similar?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote:Original post by Paul Cunningham

So you play that rich bloke in Sential Worlds who floats around space in his space yacht or similar?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Oh, you want to be shipping magnate William Grager? With the way growth dynamics might work in this game, you might be able to. You''re supposed to be able to start out as a merchant and work your way to the top, after all... but it''s just one more thing I''ve got to figure out how to work...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
That last example reminds me of Rupert Avery . BTW: I am reading Krondor the Assassins at the moment

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Another option, since you''re planning on having RTS elements, would be the length of time to pause and give orders. Or the number of orders you could give while paused.

The better a leader you were, the longer you would get or the greater number of commands you could give. This would have a fall-off distance so that you could give better orders to units that were closer, which not only makes sense, but encourages the player to take risks.

Give the units a default mediocre AI and some options for more complicated manuevers that require some player direction. Or maybe a queue of orders / waypoints.
I also want to make an RTS where the player has an in-game representation however the plot for the RTS calls for something slightly different. I want a persistant world that lasts for centuries where individuals grow old and die and new characters are born and grow up. Where should this leave the player character? Should they be able to die, should they be immortal, should they take over via their children when they die (like Shogun). I want a real feeling that the player is _in_ the game while allowing the game to last centuries.
Any comments?

Mike
You could simply control a family. A caste of warrior, a lineage of kings, an order of knights, whatever. The cool thing would be that when the leader dies (be it of age, or in battle) you would choose a successor. The nice thing being that the dead leader would have trained different lieutnants, in different styles, techniques, technologies, whatever, and when the time comes, the one you choose would alter the game style slightly, depending on its powers. This would make an interesting way of modifying the characteristics of your faction without actually changing it.

Say if you are playing the orks, and your first leader was a brutal barbarian, your soldiers would all be trained for charge, and melee and have beserk troopers. One of the lieutnant would be a shaman, and the other a Boar rider. When the leader dies, you choose whether the son will succeed (and thus continue in the melee oriented style), or the shaman (more magic), or the rider ...

Any comments ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I was also intending to incorporate the ability for the characters to decide to rebel against a leader based on personality differences or experience (if the leader sent a group of characters on a suicide mission for example). This would also come into effect for whichever leader followed on from the player. If every lieutenant, as you said, was a war hardened military type and the succesor was heavily into farming and peace then you''d probably have subtle differences of opinion forming different warring factions.

I like the idea of part of the enemy force being a past faction of your force that have split off due to your own bad leadership.

Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement