Where to start?

Started by
26 comments, last by Gyzmo 23 years, 6 months ago
answering the thread question
try SVGAlib... the fatest libray ever created.... leaves opengl as bullshit
svgalib access video ram directly, so u need root permissions (or setuid) to run it
svgalib rulez, prepared 3d engines suxxx
Advertisement
"try SVGAlib... the fatest libray ever created.... leaves opengl as bullshit"

And if you want to do some serious 3D stuff? Oops, I guess svgalib goes down the drain instead...
-------------------------------------------------------------LGPL 3D engine - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/realityengine
I think Minux was an educational OS, designed for learning OS programming, not designed to compete with any industries on any level.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
Minux? Isn''t it Minix?
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Oops, you''re right, it''s "Minix."

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
Yeah, Minix was created as an educational tool to demonstrate how to make a UNIX-like OS with a microkernel architecture for some OS class. However, many people tried to use it as an OS for their PC''s because they liked it so much. Unfortunately, the creater (his name escapes me right now) rejected all the usability and compatibility patches people sent him, because his purpose for Minix was not the same purpose.

Really, the big differences between Minix and Linux are that Minix is licenced in such a way that one person has total control over the codebase, and Linux has been working towards being a good all-around OS, whereas Minix needed to be simple and to the point, but structurally well built.

-benc
quote:
Unfortunately, the creater (his name escapes me right now)

Andy Taunebaum (or something like that)? * Needs to sleep *
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Dont use SVGAlib, it''s dead and almost no one uses it anymore. The current graphics library of choice for Linux is by far SDL ( www.libsdl.org ) At an added bonus, SDL supports extremely fast hardware 2D and 3D support(through OpenGL) on Linux, windows, beos, macos, and other unices. It also has libraries to tackle virtually every aspect of game programming from network play, True Type fonts, mpeg video and layer3, mikmod, and countless others.

-- Hairu --
http://www.animerave.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement