programming consoles and handhelds!!

Started by
6 comments, last by stevenmarky 23 years, 7 months ago
I''m writing this because i''m very annoyed. I would like to program a console e.g. the playstation2, or even a handheld e.g. the gameboy advance, the trouble is I don''t know how! Is there any web sites with cheap or free development kits for the consoles? I know that if you buy them professionally they cost a lot. there''s a lot of reasons why I would like to program a console: 1. Easier to program (no differing screen sizes easy controls no enmeration) 2. It''s more fun 3. I would rather play on a console than a P.C. + other reasons. does any "amateurs" here program consoles? If so how did you start? DX++ The DirectX Programming Site
Advertisement
I lost the link, but I found a free game boy development kit for the gameboy on the Web.

If you look around in the search engine, you''ll probably find. The only thing you need afteward is a gameboy emulator and you are ready to go!
I lost the link, but I found a free game boy development kit for the gameboy on the Web.

If you look around in the search engine, you''ll probably find. The only thing you need afteward is a gameboy emulator and you are ready to go!
I don''t believe it''s something you can get into if you''re an amateur. I''ve done some research and haven''t been able to find any "cheap" ways to get a console SDK.

You have a couple options though.

1. Sega Dreamcast uses a modified version of DirectX and WindowsCE. There is information out there on what the limitations of the system and DirectX libraries are (I believe some information can be found at msdn.microsoft.com) - for example, I''ve heard it doesn''t support Z-Buffering, the Win32 API functions are limited (can''t use GDI, etc.). Anyhow, you could start developing a game using the PC as your development platform, then once you have a good demo or even a completed game, find a company willing to publish it for the Dreamcast, and port it. It shouldn''t be too difficult.

2. X-Box - same thing. Runs DirectX and Windows 2000 though. I''ve heard lots information on specs, etc. but I''m not sure of limitations.

As for Playstation2 - well... good luck. Proprietary system, hard to develop for. Difficult and costly to get hands on a development kit.

Hope that helped.

Clay
Clay LarabieLead DeveloperTacendia.com

I am currently just finishing a co-op workterm as a programmer at EA where we are doing Playstation 2 developement. The only way you can get access to the PS2 documentation is to be a registered Sony developer... and even then they only give one person from each company access to there dev site. Unless your a big company, I wouldn''t count on being able to develope for PS2.

As for the other consoles I don''t what the deal with getting dev information on them is.
From what I''ve heard, the Playstation 2 is a bitch-and-a-half to develop for, so I wouldn''t do it. Just my two pennies

==============================
"You don''t know the power of the Dark Side..."

- Darth Vader, Episode VI
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Having done some PS2 work, I can tell you that it is much more difficult than you can imagine. Most of the documention was sub-par. And if you want your code to be decently fast...

Not to mention the fact that dev kits cost in the range of $20,000.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown

Actually un-official SDK''s can be found at a few places.. i have actually began toying with writing for the dreamcast

here''s a link.

http://www.consoledev.com/

here i found compilers/assemblers/tools to develop for many systems... it also has system info on most of them...

Well, hope it is of use.
RanXacT
RanXact@yahoo.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement