• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dungdna

WGL is slow !

This topic is 6528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''m using WGL (OpenGL for Win98/WinNT) and I found that is too slow (render a scence with about 100 triangles is too slow!). Is there anyway to command OpenGL using the hardware accelerator? (I ask this question because Quake III Arena running very very fast on my machine but my OpenGL application) Please help me!

Advertisement
Use the SciTech MGL library...itss free and very fast.

Try downloading the latest drivers for your video card, it may have OpenGL hardware drivers with it.

Sorry, let''s make the problem clearer!

I''m using Matrox G200 video card with the latest drivers on my computer. The operation system is Windows 98.

When I playing Quake III Arena, it run really good. And you all know that Quake III used OpenGL!

I try to write a program that use OpenGL (I use WGL library) on my computer (the same computer with the one I play Quake) but it really slow even though my world has only about 100 textured triangles (texture size is 256x256 and I use only 3 different textures).

I think that

What is going wrong? Pls help me!

DungDNA

-----------------
To SikCiv : where can I find SciTech MGL Library?

Hmmm...... I''m using OpenGL in Windows with no problems.

Put your code on a web server and post the address here - I''ll have a look at it and see if I can figure out what''s wrong for you.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Try not using the WGL library, just use basic opengl. all you have to do is #include "opengl.h" and then link in opengl32.lib. Usually opengl.h comes with your compiler, at least it did with mine, (I''m using MSVC++ 6.0) if not you can get it from opengl.org, though you may have to search a bit for it. opengl32.lib comes automatically with Win98 but is updated whenever you install your latest video card drivers. It''s usually hiding in one of your windows system directories. I personally don''t like the Scitech MGL, found it to be a little to cumbersome, but thats just me. You can also augment opengl with GLUT which can also be found at opengl.org, but that depends of you need the extra functions, they are nice. Hope that helps.

Ryan
Boghean

Hummm,
Well I can think of a couple of reasons why you might be getting slooowwww down with your OpenGL programming as I find WGL is fine with my VooDoo3.

If your rendering 100 triangles what operations are being performed on them???

Blending, alpha, lighting, texturing, bump mapping, etc...

Also what colour depth are you rendering in as not all cards support acceleration in all depths and only a few support 24bit, use 16 or 32 for better results. Also when using alpha and Z checking also slows down the redering process. The Quake 3 engine does no Z-checking whilst rendering the world thanks to BSP tree''s which is very very fast then uses Z-checking for rendering water and objects!

What frame rate do you get rendering 100 plain white polygons? Have you tryed NeHe''s tutorials on your computer to see how they perform?

I will say this now you will find that the Quake 3 engine which is one hell of an engine and is the result of 10 years of development since the release of DOOM2 to the release of Quake3. So don''t compaire any work you do to this as it is really unfair on yourself.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!