• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d Collision Detection

This topic is 6441 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, here''s my problem: I have a leaf-based BSP tree and I''m trying to figure out how to quickly see if a player model collided with any of the polygons. Now, if the player model were only a single point, I would be fine, because I know how to clip the velocity ray against the polygons in the BSP tree. But the player model isn''t just a point, it''s a moving bounding box, and I''m not sure where to start the velocity ray from. I read Paul Nettle''s tutorial on ellipsoids (http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/tut_coll-ellipsoids.shtml) but I think I should use axis-aligned bounding boxes instead of ellipsoids, because bounding boxes seem to fit human-like models better. So I guess I have 2 questions: 1) Do you think ellipsoids are accurate enough for human models in a 3d fps game like Quake, and if not, 2) How can I see if a moving axis-aligned bounding box collided with a convex polygon? (and have enough info from the collision test to know how much to move the bounding box up on the normal of the colliding plane, to create a sliding effect) Thanks in advance for any help, and please let me know if I need to be more specific about anything. -----Blah

Advertisement
I think ellipsoids would be fine for a fps. The player will never notice the difference.

*** Triality ***

• Advertisement