RTS resources

Started by
5 comments, last by Doctor Gonzo 23 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I''m planning on doing a Real Time Strategy game and I was wondering if anyone knows of some good resources I can read about making them. Anything from the AI to networking. Anything anyone can dig up would be awesome. Thanks! A man on the move, and just sick enough to be totally confident. Damn Right!
A man on the move, and just sick enough to be totally confident.Damn Right!
Advertisement
Just noticed that no one answered !
you can check out Gamasutra, they have got a sweet article on unit movements, very interesting.

Then you should check out Amit Patel''s web page (don''t remember the link right now), and al its goodies.

Another good thing you can read is "the Art of War" by Sun Tzu (available on the web, just look a little bt for it !)
As well, you could check out "a book of five rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. And lastly there is even "on War" by Clausewitz.
All three are very interesting books on strategy and warfare in general. If you don''t think that''s useful for a game... well... don''t worry, you won''t feel too lonely in the pack of unoriginal C&C clones that will keep popping up for another while

youpla :-P

ps : and if YOU have got some good links (you did a bit of research on the topic, didn''t you ?) it would be nice to see them here
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Well thanks for some of your input. I checked out those articles on Gamasutra and they helped a bit. Thanks, those books you mentioned might be good to look at. At the moment I''m more concered with actual unit movement. The "overlord" AI is gonna be pretty interesting to work on to say the least. But who said I was gonna be workin on an unoriginal C&C clone eh? I was sent to revolutionize the gaming industry! ... or at least I''ll think I''ll try But yea, here''s some stuff I found on basic AI for unit movement and more...

Real Time Strategy Game Programming Using DirectX

Generation 5- Lots of AI stuff

Genetic Programming
- Somewhat for the type of game I''m gonna be working on

Steering Behaviors For Autonomous Characters- Nice

Amit J Patel''s Page- Again, nice.

Gamasutra AI- A whole slew of stuff on AI, including the two features of unit movement

A man on the move, and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Damn Right!
I own a LOT of books, and most are great ... but the book you listed "Real Time Strategy Game Programming Using DirectX" I own and I found to be the most useless book on my shelf (besides a for Dummies book I wa given as a gag gift).

I do not know any good sources for such a book right now, but I will list a few general books I think you might want on your shelf (if you don''t already own them all .

// OOP
"Design Patterns" published by Addison Wesley, written by the ''Gang of Four''

// DirectX
"Inside DirectX" - covers Version 5, but does so VERY well

// Windows Programming
"Windows 98: From the Ground Up" - Herbert Shildt

// C++
"The C++ Standard Library Reference" - not sure
"C++: The Complete Refernce, third edition" - Herbert Shildt

Most of the programming books I own are published by:
Addison-Wesley
Osborne
Microsoft Press

Good luck.
doctor gonzo : it''s funny to see that the internet, in its amazing vastness, contains usually a limited number of things that you can actually USE...
yep, I already knew all those links, been there, done that

(My masters is on group behaviour, I''ll focus mainly on RTS movements I think)

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
ahw: Cool, so when you''re done with your research maybe you can put some good stuff up on the the net to add to the useful resources out there right? Nice! Good luck.

A man on the move, and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Damn Right!
hi

i am working at a RTS GAME right now....

so talk to me if u want...

only dont get ur game out before i do

Bogdan

obysoft

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement