• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

conceptualizing rotation/transformation

This topic is 6445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After about 3 weeks of glassy-eyed staring at books and tutorials, I think maybe I understand the purpose of the 4x4 transformation and rotation matrix. I am still having trouble conceptualizing its use and have some questions. Once you have initially placed your camera, and if you are only dealing with static objects in a flat ''room'', and you only processed one keyboard input per frame, would you ever be doing more than 1 rotation, or a transformation at a time? I mean, if you move forward, aren''t you only translating from you''re current position? If you turn left or right, you''re rotating around the y and if you look up and down you''re rotating around the x? When would you ever rotate around the z in this situation? I know there are more complex situations, I am only trying to understand this simple situation first. I would appreciate ANY feedback - even if it''s to tell me I need to spend another 3 weeks staring at the tutorials before I ask another question. Thanks. information is the illusion of knowledge

Advertisement
Wait, that''s not right, is it. If you rotate the camera left or right or up or down you have to do a translation and a rotation. Is that right?

See, it helps to talk, even if you''re only talking to yourself. As long as you''re not talking to the dog. Although, I guess that''s allright as long as the dog isn''t talking back and telling you to... never mind.

I''m tired. Have to go empty the bit bucket and slop the hogs.

"things are more like they are now than they ever have been"

• Advertisement