• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is glut?

This topic is 6444 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You can write Win32/OpenGL applications without using ''glu'' and ''glut''.
In this case it''s more difficult to port the code to other OS. However if you dont use glut (and I dont) you have more freedom in managing windows stuff.

Just FYI:

First let me preface by saying I''m no OpenGl expert, but...

Glut SEEMS GREAT for getting prototype level stuff done fast.

In case you''re doing Win32, be aware that glut does not come with the MS Platform SDK, but it''s available for download at:

[link]http://reality.sgi.com/opengl/glut3/#windows[/link]

I''m not sure of your skill set, but if you did not look at the news item entitled "A 3D Case Study Using OpenGL", you might want to take a look at it:

[link]http://www.dev-gallery.com/programming/opengl/book/thesis_frames.htm[/link]

This article uses glut, and seems to be a pretty good tutorial.

My experience with glut is that is great for the cross-platform computing with OpenGL and for helping the beginner getting started with OpenGL, but that it is somewhat limited when it comes to more anvanced window management and native OS support. For instance as far as I remember (I might be wrong - it is a while since I used it) you can go to full screen or use interface elements such as joysticks with the events. Only a small subsets of the native event (message) set is supported in glut.

So as one of the other poster said - it is good for prototyping but once you get the hang of it and when you choose a specific platform then I would skip using it and use pure OpenGL combined with native OS calls.

Jacob Marner

I don''t really care if glut helps me port programs to other operating systems or gives me easy window managment. I just want to know if it has any useful graphical functions like camera managment, or stuff like that.

Thanks,
wolfman8k

what do u mean camera management AFAIK glut has nothing special int his department cause i think the glu function is as easy as u can get gluLookAt( wher am i , what am i looking at , what direction is up)

• Advertisement