[java] background color

Started by
8 comments, last by ARCHIGAMER 23 years, 7 months ago
I am having some trouble having my applet background color staying black can someone help me? it stays black for about 3 secs then it goes grey. import java.awt.*; import java.applet.*; import javax.swing.*; public class test extends JApplet { public void init() { setBackground(Color.black); } public void paint(Graphics screen) { super.paint(screen); Graphics2D screen2D = (Graphics2D) screen; } }
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Advertisement
Can I see this applet? Doesn''t look like it should behave that way from the code.
How about just drawing a filled rect the size of the applet and the color of your background? If your applet has animation you''ll have to erase the previous frame anyway.

=============================
silly programmer vb is for kids.
=============================
www.thejpsystem.com
==============================================I feel like a kid in some kind of store... ============================================== www.thejpsystem.com
I well have the applet up later today I am at my brothers right now...not at my home comp. Well I supose I could draw a rectangle but it should stay the same background color as the examples in my book say it should.
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
sorry for the hold up. had a busy couple of days.

here
That is strange. It should stay black. I think that you might want to look into using a black rectangle the size of the applet like loserkid mentioned. This is handy especially if you start doing double buffering.

Adam

try a repaint() after the setBackgroundColor
repint doesnt help or do anything
It is because you are overriding paint and doing nothing with it. JApplet is a Container, so calling its paint method does nothing but paint it's children. Get rid of the super.paint(Graphics) and replace it with Graphics.clearRect(x,y,h,w);

Whoa i see a problem here. I know now that your original problem was a real one, archigamer. I just made a simple applet to prove my point to myself, and when i substituted JApplet for Applet I got the same behavior as you. The Applet behaves correctly with no overridden paint method or a call to super.paint in it's paint method, but the JApplet requires a clearRect(x,y,h,w) call in it's paint method to do anything.

Edited by - Jim_Ross on September 7, 2000 10:28:01 AM
i dont understnad what you are saying...very well. anyways if it try the method the compiler spits out
"Background.java:13: non-static method clearRect(int,int,int,int) cannot be referenced from a static context
Graphics.clearRect(500,300,500,300);
^
1 error"

I am not to sure about the xy coords its asking for i dont see why it needs to info or what i need to put in for it. i tried clearRect without the "Graphics." doesnt compile heres the code if you still think you can help.

import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;

public class Background extends JApplet
{
public void init()
{
setBackground(Color.black);
}

public void paint (Graphics screen)
{
Graphics.clearRect(500,300,500,300);
Graphics2D screen2D = (Graphics2D) screen;
}
}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement