the XBox advantage

Started by
69 comments, last by Gaiiden 23 years, 7 months ago
Gaiiden - I think you were confusing me and evaclear. Eveclear said
quote:
With the Xbox that will not happen, the system is standardized this will solve 100% of issues related to that.

In fact I said the opposite that the hardware is the least of windows problems, as it most likely will be in the XBox.
Now, I still think that MS will, in all their ''feature'' happy wisdom, screw up the OS for the XBox. Since I am not on the XBox team, however, I have no clue as to what they will leave in the stripped down win2000 kernal and what they will take out. And I suspect that you are also speculating, but if you aren''t, please point to an article describing the XBox OS.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
Advertisement
Check this link out for a comparison of all 4 consoles (Dreamcast, Gamecube, PSX2, XBox)
http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_1387_8.html

...looking at the spec sheets, XBox certainly seems to be a lot more powerful.

mhanna@nyc.rr.com
mhanna@nyc.rr.com
remember a p3 is only a 32 bit machine the others are 128bit
huge differnece read all of the line.
dreamcast 233mhz 128bit == 1.4 billion instructs per second
playstation2 195mhz 128bit == 6.2 billion
gamecube 405mhz 128bit == 13 billion shit!!
xbox 733mhz 32bit (they dont mention) but around 1 billion
my celeron 433mhz 32bit less than half billion

mhz aint everything this is the reason a mac is about twice the speed of a pc at the same mhz

but this is all bollux when youre playing on a tv screen 10's millions of polygons a second at 640x480 or 800x600 WTF

Edited by - zedzeek on September 7, 2000 6:46:24 PM
Uh, there''s a way to put Linux on The XBox, though it seemed much easier last night.
Let me think.........On dreamcast, part of the Booting System is off the CD, so if this is the Case then it would be possible(and much easier since its x86, not whatever the hell instructions the Dreamcast has),

One more Thing,

DO YOU THINK A INTEL(=CRAPPY!!!) P3 733 would Be able to perform great in 2001, I DONT THINK SO!!!!, it doesnt even perform good compared to SpitFires!(Duron''s), Later,
The NTSC standard for television (the one used in the US) is about 512x384 and has a constant fps of 29.97 interlaced. This is not going to be much of a stretch for any modern graphics chip. So saying that a console game gets 800FPS at 640x480 resolution isn''t any big whoop...''cause you can''t tell anyway.

I think the main thing that will help the XBox is the hardware physics abilities.

One thing I was wondering about is how XBox will handle the multiplayer aspect of console games. N64 did a horrid job of trying to do 4 players on a split screen...
And does hooking up 2 (3...4..) XBoxes together and having 8 players (or whatever they decide on) on a couple TVs/Monitors sound like a feasible idea?

Just some late-night thoughts.

Epolevne
For those complaining about XBox being obsolete upon release take a look at playstation which was obsolete for years but still dominated the industry. 128 bit means purely nothing. a pentium 3 also has 128 bit instructions. What is more important is the performance of the video card, not so much the processor. I do not claim to know which of these new console systems will perform the best.
My opinion is that XBox will make a big mark on the game industry. If the Xbox is a success, several big developers will drop pc versions of their games (already happening). The closed system simplifies development, and the market for pc games is already small compared to consoles. XBox could be the leader in the console wars. You have Playstation 2 with bad rep. GameCube solid, but not as desirable to develop for as the xbox (wierd new system, competing with big nintendo titles). Indrema L600 pushes the linux name which is insignificant to most people. Dreamcast already has a market, but rumors say that Sega is working with microsoft now on XBox realization? In conclusion, though the addition of a hard drive is confusing (viruses? fragmentation?), XBox can easily be a sucess.

- cmaker

also PC Compatability is an issue. XBox games will not be cross compatible for sales and support reasons. But an emulator is inevitable in some form?
Ah zedzeek... how exactly did you come about those calculations? Which of those consoles are using CISC cpus or RISC cpus? Which is more efficient at processing 32 bit numbers, a 32 bit cpu or a 128 bit cpu? (Key word in that question is efficient) Bottom line is numerical comparisons don''t mean squat. The ability of the cpu to efficiently process, the ability of the development tools to create efficient and cpu friendly code, the power and abilities of all the periphal components, all those makes instructions per second stats completely worthless. And availability and quality of games/software for the given system makes everything else completely worthless. That''s why I own a PC instead of a Mac. That''s why I use Windows instead of Linux or Beos. System spec comparisons are pointless (the original Playstation also proves that.)
Sorry to Evacler and Ventari if I got them mixed up somehow... I can understand how you expect Microsoft to screw this all up, but in the article i read in NextGen the XBox team was confident in doing what they wanted to do with the XBox. In fact, they even opposed Bill Gates on some of the features he wanted in the box. When the day came for Bill to decide whether to build this thing, the XBox team said flat out the thing would not be PC-compatible, which Microsoft had wanted. They stood by their decision even after Gates threw a small tirade. This leads me to beleive they''ll push hard for a clean OS on the machine.

And as for the Linux issue, I still think you people are treating the XBox as more than a game console, more like a mini-PC, which its NOT. The thing will run just like any other console, you pop in the disk and play. No boot-up, no system menus, nothing. So what''s the point of installing Linux on it? I just don''t get it. If you hate MS so much just don''t get the XBox, what''s the big deal?

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Gaiiden - when you say something like this :
quote:
The console OS will have to do nothing more than support the hardware in the box as well as the DirectX. That's it, nothing else.

You should have more to back it up than some story that really has nothing to do with a clean OS. You could be right, but pleaes have more to go on next time you start stating opinion as facts in a demeaning way.
quote:
I still think you people are treating the XBox as more than a game console, more like a mini-PC, which its NOT.

I think it's very understandable why some people are confused. MS is marketing this thing as more than a console. I have read articles that said this thing will have a browser and other apps; although how much truth is there I don't know. Every time I read about it (especially here) I get evangalistic BS, half-truths, or the specs of everyting but the graphics card (which isn't even created yet).
quote:
If you hate MS so much just don't get the XBox, what's the big deal?

If you like MS so much, just get the XBox, what's the big deal?
You did, in your first post, invite all of us to argue with you. It's not a huge deal.
I will generally take the time to argue with MS evangilism (like the crap you spewed in your first post). Seriously, you were basically praising MS for saving the console industry from the evils of the PS2, etc.

Mike

Edited by - Vetinari on September 11, 2000 11:18:53 AM
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
quote:Original post by theRaskell

Ah zedzeek... how exactly did you come about those calculations? Which of those consoles are using CISC cpus or RISC cpus? Which is more efficient at processing 32 bit numbers, a 32 bit cpu or a 128 bit cpu? (Key word in that question is efficient)

Well, let''s see. The Playstation2''s 128-bit vector units can multiply eight floats(four pairs) AND two 16-bit ints all in one(!) cycle. The Dolphin''s custom 128-bit PPC will do two floating point operations in one cycle. What can the PIII do in one cycle?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement