• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kill

3D Cards monopoly. A good thing?

This topic is 6618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I''ve been working as a programmer professionally, and I am studying computer science in college. I''ve been spending my own time to learn DirectX and later OpenGL for the past 3 years. I am by no means a professional in game development, but I think I have a very good understanding of the industry. I had a couple of ideas in my head I wanted to share. I urge everyone to correct me if I am wrong. So you want to make a 3D game using cutting edge technology. There are two major chips you would develop for GForce and 3dfx. Well, then there''s the whole TNT thing, and there are many manufacturers that base the cards on these chips. The 3D basics are pretty much the same, but once you start doing something fancy, you have to write your code twice, or may be even more, once for each chip. Let''s wait a bit, may be some other company will emerge with a ground breaking chip. Then you have to test your game on all these chips. Well, you get the idea. As I see it, there are two ways to deal with the situation: 1. Chip development monopoly. 2. A standard. Let''s see. Number 1. I don''t really like it for all the reasons why monopoly sucks, and we have antitrust laws for that. Besides, the way things are right now, it ain''t gonna happen. Number 2. I think it sounds pretty reasonable. Why not create an official conference of game developers, API developers, and 3D card manufacturers. They will all decide what will go into the next generation card. This way game and API developers will know what to expect, and what to do. Manufacturers will just try to implement these features in a better way, so there still will be competition. I think this model will save everyone a lot of time and money, and will only have positive effects on the industry. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I personally don''t think either is going to happen, although nVidia has a near monopoly on the consumer market (quite simply they make better cards IMHO)

From what I have heard about DX8/openGL1.2 they are both designed to make it easier for graphics cards manufacturers to add features without having to beg MS or the ARB to include them in the API. Maybe someone who has used them might be able to comment? (NDA permitting)

well the funny thing is the largest selling company is one u didn''t mention + thats ATI and theyve been so 4 a couple of years unfourtunatly. 3dfx theyre dead, not buried mind, but dead maybe with a bit of that voodoo magic they might rise again, i hope so as long as they stop talking about fillrate that makes me about as happy as ms going on about inovating . comeon kill number 2 suggestion goes against all that is capitalist

Guest Anonymous Poster
One company that has been ignored is Intel. Although, they may not hold the performance or feature crown, if you consider the number of integrated graphics chipsets purchased, Intel has sold more graphics cards than all other card makers combined. Maybe you should reconsider your target market.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!