Toughness

Started by
12 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 7 months ago
I''m interested in the breath points concept. These are a measure of how "with it" you are/correct? If so, then this could be a useful tool for computing modifiers in battle. If they regenerated fast enough so you didn''t need potions or medicine to gain them back it would create a good character managment element in a game(rpg). As a messure of recoporation after a big battle. Hmmmm, tas has me tinking

Kind of like overheating weapons but its more a messure of defense rather than attack. Lets not forget that good rule in d&d where if you took more than 50 pts of damage from one blow you had to make a saving throw to avoid dying from shock. That was a good rule.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Paul, I don''t mean to be rude, but jsut forget about D&D five minutes ... you can''t fix what is broken by putting coats and coats of paint over it...

but anyway

you can see Breath points as a measure of how tired you are. Simple as that. Fighting is, simple as that, tiring. You need a good breath for any physical effort, and fight is one of those. If you get hit, bumped, stunned, your breath is disturbed, eventually having you pass out. Luckily, to recover your breath, you just need to take a break and relax for a little while.
So yes, the comparison with the overhating is very good.
Except that you can be made to lose BP by other things than yor actions (that is, you lose BP by being attacked...)

But don''t take BP as a buffer kind of thing ! If you are attacked by a monomolecular garrot, you won''t be stunned at all, but you''ll be dead all the same !
another thing, in combat, BP are used to power-up your tests. Basically, by making an extra effort (and thus losing a BP), you can increase the power, the precision, or speed of your attack. This simulates nicely the fact to tire yourself with too much effort, but it can save your life. When you know that BP are also used to fuel your magic, and when you know you have only 4 little points ... you realise quicly that you have to make choices. And you don''t have stupid restrictive rules for magicians... (guess who I am pointing at).

youpla :-P

*oooooh, listening to Limp Biskit and getting that tickely feeling on the back of my neck*
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I believe i get it It very much leads back to your first statment about them being a form of stamina. But unlike a normal stamina attribute - breath points can be spent by the player or lost by normal causes like a hit, slip over or running? BP''s from the game that you learnt about them were a stat in there own right?! Like a Cardivascular rating but using the points system instead of the unsual static attribute system.

quote:
Paul, I don''t mean to be rude, but

As in, Paul losses 1 BP now? *smirk* Btw, my previous post was a bit of a ramble, i can''t help it sometimes. I''m sure you understand.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Yep. that''s it.
Now add to this the Psychic Energy points, and you''ve got the full system. The PE pts are a bit different as they denote your mental power, as in your Mental Health (Chtulhu RPG).
You can spend them to make more durable effects than with BP, but the consequences are more dangerous if you reach zero, and they are harder to recover (but since you don''t use them much, it makes sense). They are very much used by Magic users, which explain the number of mad mages and anyway, most magic users can''t work without a decent Mana storage device ... and I won''t go into the magic system now, or we are all doomed to end in an off topic ramble

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement