• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gimp

OpenGL [opengl] What's in a skybox?

This topic is 6555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve decided to start an engine and after 2 months of reading documents on spacial subdivision, clod and fine occlusion culling I thought I''d hit the code. First things first. A simple sky box. That should be easy right? But... is it all really just as easy as making a box and texturing it? (Assuming I''ll add the control stuff later) Hopefully these arn''t stupid questions: -If I just have a box that is always centrered at the camera(but doesn''t rotate with it) I guess mipmapping is out. Any reccomendations for a rendering mode? -What size texture could be sanely used these days on current -6 months hardware? I used to be a Q2\Kingpin mapper and really didn''t like 256x256 pixels. If I go higher do I have to split the surface in to 256 chunks? 512 seems fair, at 24 bit thats about ~700k per side(or about 4 meg vid mem). -What states do I set to ensure that the box is never affected by lighting(ie is never shadowed or shaded) -Triangles or quads? The rest of my engine will use triangles. Is there an optimisation for never mixing? Getting more advanced: -This looks like a perfect place for a display list, correct? -Is there a special pattern(order) for strips to make a box from a single strip or should I just go for a vertex array Is there anything else I should know about? Many thanks gimp

Advertisement
-If I just have a box that is always centrered at the camera(but doesn''t rotate with it) I guess mipmapping is out. Any reccomendations for a rendering mode?

-What size texture could be sanely used these days on current -6 months hardware? I used to be a Q2\Kingpin mapper and really didn''t like 256x256 pixels. If I go higher do I have to split the surface in to 256 chunks? 512 seems fair, at 24 bit thats about ~700k per side(or about 4 meg vid mem).

matter of personal prefernece

-What states do I set to ensure that the box is never affected by lighting(ie is never shadowed or shaded)

yes disable lighting , depth testing alos u dont need to clear the colour buffer beforehand as the box will cover everything in the scene

-Triangles or quads? The rest of my engine will use triangles. Is there an optimisation for never mixing?

triangles

Getting more advanced:

-This looks like a perfect place for a display list, correct?

it depends on you FOV? but i believe only max 3 sides are gonna be visable at once

-Is there a special pattern(order) for strips to make a box from a single strip or should I just go for a vertex array

impossible to make a box from a single strip , 2 trifans is prolly the best u can do

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!