• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

j0n3z

Velocity curve help?

This topic is 6650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. I am trying to control the speed of an object along a parametric spline (cardinal spline). I have been trying to create a velocity curve using values of speed specified at the control points, but without success. If anyone has any experience with velocity curves then I would appreciate some tips. Thanks in advance. Jon Edited by - j0n3z on 9/2/00 3:26:43 PM

Advertisement
I''m guessing this is a parabolic curve or something at least similiar. Can you make up a class with xv, yv, xp, yp, xa, and ya? Just x and y values of velocity, position, and acceleration. Then you can move the object using the velocities for each second (for example) and then subtract the xa and ya from xv and yp.

It seems easier to have an x and y speed instead of just a speed. This will at least help you control where it goes a lot better

Hope it helps a little and good luck.

The curves i''m using take a parameter, u, which varies from 0 to 1 depending on fractional distance along the curve. To get a linear velocity, I can have u proportional to the system time.

A velocity curve is just a way of passing u non-linearly, the gradient of which controls the velocity. The books I have only slightly mention it, and are of very little help.

Any ideas anybody ????.

(Just a heads up that I replied to this thread in its other incarnation over in the ''General and Game Programming Discussion'' forum and you might want to check there)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!