Question: 2D bitmap simulate 3D???

Started by
5 comments, last by CodePlayEatSleep 23 years, 7 months ago
I have a question. Would it be feasible to simulated 3D using 2D bit maps (too slow?) I''m making a game similar to Desert/Jungle strike for the SNES and Sega. The game will be viewed from a top-down perspective, and I want to make the view(2D) change altitude (helio ascending and descending). Planning on transforming my 2D tiles using some alpha blt functions. If the helio go up, the tiles become smaller, if it goes down the tile becomes bigger. If this was possible how would I go about drawing the tiles? Should I make the tiles bigger and detailed? Could I apply some LOD on the tile? Like if the helio flies too high then change to another tile? Get off my lazy ass and learn D3D, better yet OPENGL? Thanks!
Advertisement
This is probably not the answer you wanted, but isn''t everything represented in two demensions when it comes to computer graphics?

And yes, get off your lazy ass and learn one of them . You''re going to need to know them anyway, so just get started now. Your idea of scaling is nice, but I don''t know how easy it would be to implement.

=======================================
A man with no head is still a man.
A head with no man is plain freaky.
Direct 3-D is basicly just a set of functions for manipulating matrices etc., and DOES use "DirectDraw" to actually paint to the screen.

Your screen will ALWAYS be 2-D, think about it. You are basicly just representing data in the third dimension upon a two dimensional surface, so it is more a matter of illusion than actual logical "3-D"-ness.

if you are really a desperate soul just email and I''ll send you the common equations used to render 3-D graphics, to give you an idea of what is involved

SPAR1
Hey I''m not that desperate! I know 3D has something to do with mAtRiX math, never really had the time to look into it.

After this little game I will move into 3D no doubt. For now I will stick with 2D (I can''t model worth a damn right now).

Again, thanks!

No matter how you slice it, what you''re talking about is 3D graphics (or at least a part of it). At a minimum, you''re talking about a projection transformation. You might figure out another way to do it, but you''re probably not going to figure out an easier or better way than has already been done.
You don''t necessarily have to conquer the evil Matrix to do this at first. You can find a ton of tutorials and sample code that will (with a little work) provide you with functions where you can feed in your vertices and camera location and it will do the transformation for you. You may just have to follow the instructions without totally understanding what''s happening at first.
That''s a first step toward learning 3d graphics, which, of course, you''re going to do eventually anyway

"things are more like they are now than they ever have been"
"It's obvious isn't it Miller? Curiosity killed these cats!"
I''ll just put another coat of paint.
But basically, if you haven''t coded anything yet, you are better off using a 3D graphics engine, the trick is to use flat poylgon, NOT models, and simply put your tiles as textures. This would have the side effect of allowing you some cool tricks and visuals ... just like the ones in Death Rally for instance (it looks like all bitmaps, but some elements are done in 3D, like cliff edges). I don''t think this would require a great amount of skillZ in modelling. And it would probably be a great tutorial in using a 3D engine like openGL (from what I read in their site, it looks awfully easy to use). Plus using a 3D engine allows you to use all the bells and whistles associated with 3D : alpha blending and all the little brothers and sisters ...

gotta have to try that myself

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Cool! I haven''t started coding yet since this is my *first* (meaning it''s going to be 100% complete with all levels) project, I want to plan it out like a real project. I''m looking into it now, I''m been programming 2D stuff for awhile now, I guess it''s time to move on :D...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement