Original Win32 Documents

Started by
2 comments, last by AMoronThatWantsToProgram 23 years, 7 months ago
I was just wondering how programmers like Lamothe and all the well kown programmers learned to program in win32. Who taught them how to program in Windows. Like were there ever original Win32 documents that explained Windows programming. And if so where can I find them?
Advertisement
By the time Win32 hit the scene most Windows programmers had been programming Win16 for years, so I''m sure they had no problem making the transition. Charles Petzold has taught many how to program Windows (16 & 32 bit) with his books and magazine articles. As far as documents go, I don''t know where you''d find any. If you want to learn Win32, get Petzold''s book, Programming Windows Fifth Edition.
The Win32 API is still documented on MSDN, but it''s a reference only, so there are no tutorials. But you can find lots of Win32 tutorials on the net, and once you learn the basics of Win32 programming you should be able to pick up the rest very easily. Just one thing, you should know how to program in C or CPP for Dos at least, then move on to Win32. But if you do know C/CPP then here''s the tutorial I first used to get started, theForger''s Windows API Programming Tutorial - http://bcgrizzly.com/~forger/winprog/tutorial/ and the MSDN references for Win32 as well, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/portals/win32start_1n6t.htm.

------------
- outRider -
I''m still using the Win32 help that came with Borland Delphi/C++ Builder. This is in the form of that well known .hlp file. That standard book stuff, you know what I''m talking about, do you?
I think you can download it free on borland''s site...?!

Well, ALL functions and structures are included, and a reference for every object. Also some examples. It''s been very usefull for me, and still is. You''ll need a good ref/help file to program Win32!!!

And some extra tutorials and example programs will never hurt ofcourse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement