• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Anonymous Poster

How many DSSoundbuffers / Soundengine

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was playing with DirectSound a while back and was going to take exactly the same approach as you were. Prioritizing sounds and only creating as many DS buffers as indicated by the DS caps. However, I found that DS would let me allocate and even play more buffers than was indicted by the caps.
The specific cap I was looking at was something like "max hardware mixing buffers all". Also, the max amount of memory cap was a huge number, more than was available on the
sound card.

So I'm A little confused about how to interpret the DS caps. It may just be something weird with my particular sound card.

Pat

[This message has been edited by pdown (edited August 18, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by pdown (edited August 18, 1999).]

I don't think there is a pratical limit to the number of sound buffers that you have to worry about. The sound buffer is just a fancy area in memory holding the sound data etc. As long as you have enough memory you should be able to merrily create them till the proverbial cows come rolling home. (The only really bad return code I can find from CreateSoundBuffer is DSERR_OUTOFMEMORY.....)

You will get into trouble if you try to commit all sounds to the card itself but the main problem you will have is the cacophony if you try to play them all at once!

So.....Err.....Depends on the number of sounds you want. I would personally (and am trying) to go for a cache system - keep the ones you play regulsrly and cache in and out the rare ones.

Hello

One Question regarding Direct Sound :

What is the practical limitation (other than Ram)on the number of nonplaying DSSoundbuffer

Currently I think about writing kind of soundengine using DSound and i thought
creatinging some Soundbuffers for the frequently used Sounds ( player of player movement, some frequently used background noises )in the Onboard Ram of the Soundcard
an a lot of Buffers (~100, ~15k each ) for each possible,less frequently used sound,in SystemRam. I do not plan to play all Buffers
at once ! (By logging which buffers are actually playing and giving the buffers different prioritis depending on the importance of
the Soundeffect in the buffer for the game,
i only want to play the x most important
buffers at a given time ( where x depends on hardware caps and user preferences )

thank you for reading my question

imhiro
Am I going to face problems by maintainging
about 100 DSSoundBuffers in SystemRam ?

I Creating->Playing->Releasing a single Buffers for each used Soundeffect a better
way to go ?

quick note about this:

while you can have pretty much all of the sounds that you want, make sure that the static buffers only contain short sounds, no more than a few seconds.

also, if you want to have several copies of the same sound to be heard concurrently, dont create separate buffers. instead, make duplicate buffers using IDirectSound:: DuplicateSoundBuffer.

[This message has been edited by TANSTAAFL (edited September 01, 1999).]