any good x86 assembly programming books?

Started by
18 comments, last by TITAN 24 years, 7 months ago
Yes ... I have a web site:

Http://www.fastsoftware.com

However ... when I changed over my web site I took down a few things. There is plenty of code up, but nothing for the true beginner.

It may seem like there is A LOT more stuff that you have to do, but in reality there isn't.

A basic template is provided in the masm32 package and you can build off of those examples.

Just take the time to read through Iczelion's tutorials and everything will fall into place. Start at WinMain in the examples and follow the code to see how it works. It is almost like a C program.

If you go to my site download the applications ZIP file and take a peek at my code. It is better commented and should be able to help you out if your run into any problems.

- Chris

Advertisement
Inner Loops
by Rick Booth
ISBN: 0-201-47960-5

Pentium Processor Optimization Tools
by Michael L. Schmit
ISBN: 0-12-627230-1

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games
http://www.samugames.com

ok im starting to understand how a windows program operates
but now i need more info on assembly a commented example creating a few variables and then setting up a loop subtracting or adding to those and displaying their current value in the window would be very helpful
its strange learning assembly AND windows programming at the same time
Creating a variable is just like in DOS ASM except for when you need to create a Windows Specific Type of variable.

myVar1 dd 0 ; Creates a DWORD ( 4 BYTES ) with a vlaue of Zero == INT in C.

myVar2 RECT <> ; Creates a RECT struct. NOTE: There are no value in the parenthesis

myVar3 RECT <20,20,100,100> ; Creates a RECT with X,Y COORDS at 20,20 and 100 x 100 in size.

That is all you need to do to create a variable.

Loops are extremely easy using MASM's High level syntax.

mov eax, 0
.while eax < 10
inc eax
mov ebx, 2
add eax, ebx
.endw

I will be covering all of this in much greater detail in my article series. The first one should be up sometime next week.

It will take a few issues to get completely through all of the basics and such.

- Chris

i never learned dos ASM but that helped some variables had me confused i could see stuff like buffer1[128]:BYTE which looks like a nice array of bytes altho when i try that i get errors ???
and then i see stuff like your examples
varname dd value
i dont think i need anymore help for a while ill mess with it until i can get it to do something thanks to all who gave me lists of books
and to bit for so much more
Want a good asm book?

Graphics Programming Black Book.
Micheal Abrash.

asm and a whole lot more.

well i just got the win32 api ref very helpful now maybe i can do a little better wont help me with ASM but itll sure help with the windows part so far ive changed the look of my window a little but its early in the morning and i must get some sleep so i cant play too much

------------------
TITAN
titan_ct@hotmail.com

TITAN
titan_ct@hotmail.com
"Assembly step by step" by duntemann is a good book if your starting from scratch and it's funny to boot.
i am trying to learn x86 assembly any help would be great thanks
TITAN
titan_ct@hotmail.com
i thought this topic had died
but then i get back from running from floyd
and theres a reply......anyways
thanks i havent had a chance to buy any books i went back to learning some more
dos c/c++ windows scares me

------------------
TITAN
titan_ct@hotmail.com

TITAN