NEW - Download Dizzyball!

Started by
17 comments, last by cpotako 23 years, 6 months ago
Wow - I was NOT expecting that. If you think that Dizzyball is amazing, just wait until you see what we are working on now.

Thanks for the compliments!

-Chris
-Chris
Advertisement
I thought I would make it a little easier for everyone, and post the links in here.

To download Dizzyball 1.1 please go here!

To visit the official dizzyball website please go here!

To everyone who has tried the game so far - we really appreciate it! If anyone else has comments feel free to reply here or, preferably, post it on the Dizzyball.com Forum.

Thanks again.

-Chris

Edited by - cpotako on September 12, 2000 5:32:21 PM
-Chris
Dizzyball was just featured on demonews.com! Check it out!

-Chris
-Chris

Hmmm...well you knew a bad post had to come along sooner or later. :-)

I realize you guys put a lot of work into this, and it is very nice, but I do have a few problems with dizzyball. First of all, nothing seems to be textured except for the ball. Everything else is just kinda bland pastel colors. Is there a reason all that stuff isn''t textured?

Second of all, I get pretty low framespeeds on a celeron 466 overclocked to 525 w/ Geforce 256 DDR. I would think that a machine like this would be more than enough to handle dizzyball for how simple it looks. Other stuff that I run (x-plane for example, or qIII, unreal tournament, etc) runs pretty damn fast at 1024x768x32.

Finally, the controls are very awkward. When you hit a ball, you have basically no idea of how far or where it is going to go, particularly b/c there seem to be invisible barriers way up in the air in certain spots.

Please don''t get me wrong though, it is a cool idea, I just don''t think it is "amazing" as some posters above have postulated. Oh yea, and the only reason i''m posting as "anonymous" is b/c I don''t have an account here. you can send comments/questions/flames directly to:

surfer_11@hotmail.com

Thanks for the comments! First of all, we are aware of all the problems with the game. This game, as noted on our dizzyball.com web site, was not originally intended to be a game. It was merely a demo entered into a programming competition to show off the physics kit MathEngine. Being that this wasn''t supposed to be a game, there was little to no optimization. Try running it in windowed mode instead of fullscreen. When you are in a window mode, you can drag the size of the window - try to keep it at a consistent aspect ratio. As far as the textures are concerned, there are NO textures in the game. The reason the balls have the nicest designs is because they are made of the most polygons. This entire game is made of colored polygons. The "walls in the air" are infinitely high force fields originated from the terrain squares. One of the points of the game is to figure out which switches you needed to activate/deactivate to complete a level.
As always though - we appreciate your comments and just the fact that you gave our game a shot is flattering to us.

Thanks for playing,
Chris
-Chris
All I seem to get when trying to run the game is "error opening file x" with basically a list of most of the meshes and songs in the game

Then I get a relativley blank screen with sloshing noises...

I''m running a Pent III 500, Win 98, 128 Ram, and a Diamond Viper v700 (32meg)graphics card .... hmnnn.. now I think about it.. I dunno if I have openGL support...

That shouldn''t have caused those errors tho?

Oh well.. it sounded like a really good game concept

Mark

----
http://go.to/e[m]anate
----
<< ...and here is one we developed earlier... >>
Well - first off - make sure you unzipped it correctly. There is no reason you should be getting file errors. Then make sure you go HERE to download the newest video drivers directly from nvidia, and not from your cards manufacturer.

-Chris
-Chris
I recommend a "Change Video Driver" option in the Dizzyball folder. My cruddy dark monitor can''t see the menu options. I just hear good music, and menu sounds... :p
But then again... that is only my monitor. I have a 3dfx card, but it runs software mode.
I dealt with a crappy super-dark AcerView for years before I finally gave up and bought a new one. Ya know what? - If you have the means, buy a new monitor. You will be MUCH happier - I know I was.

-Chris

Edited by - cpotako on September 27, 2000 3:20:01 AM
-Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement