The Minas Tirith Project 56k = good luck

Started by
38 comments, last by Ysaneya 19 years, 9 months ago
I didn't know where to post this.. it's not directly related to programming, but it's not an announcement either. Just wanted to show off a new project i'll be working on this summer (note: i will try to regularly update this topic with new screenshots as progress is done). There's this group of 3D artists that are collaborating to create a massive 3D model of Minas Tirith. Just as a challenge: not for a game project or whatever. All done in medium to hi-polycount. I proposed my help to display (or try to.. ) the model in real-time. At the moment the model is 1.3 millions polys, and is not textured (how they are going to texture it, that's beyond me..). The ASE file is 450 Mb on disk. It's only the very top of the city, with the main hall and Ecthelion's tower. This is basically 1 / 100th of the total model they're trying to recreate. Some screenies: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. Comments: 1. An overall view of the current model 2. The main hall (1 million polys) from outside 3. Another view of the hall, a bit further away 4. A side view (on the left) looking at the hall 5. Entrance 6. Back view from the left 7. Back view from the right 8. Interior, near the entrance 9. Interior, under the roof 10. Interior, some statues 11. Zoom on a statue 12. A wireframe of the statue (there's more polys in this statue than in a whole Quake2 level) 13. Candle holder 14. Wire for candle holder 15. Bird view, from top of Ecchtelion's tower 16. Wire for fun: main hall from front 17. A side tower 18. Back view of the hall Y. Edit: used some thumbnails for the sake of my website's bandwidth.. [Edited by - Ysaneya on June 17, 2004 10:30:37 AM]
Advertisement
That's... just amazing.
Seriously, great work. I don't know how you got the FPS you did, even on a top range system.
Wow.
the future is just like the past, just later. - TANSTAAFL
Amazing! How do multiple people work on the same model though? Is it built in parts that the moddelers can check out so there won't be time conflicts?
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Wow, that's really cool. Modeling an entire city just for fun? Does that mean people will someday be able to download it themselves to look at or walk through? That'd be cool. I'd love to see that thing textured.
I'm more impressed by the frame rate to polycount thing you got going on, but I'm weird like that.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Incredible. What sort of culling algorithms are you using on that?
Nah, I reckon he's 'shopped the framerate ;)
Woo, that's impressive! Great modelling!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

WOW! Definitely let us know how that goes. I can't wait to see the finished product, and possibly download the walkthrough.

That really needs to be made into a game someday, even if it's "Hide and Seek in Minas Tirith."
*jaw drops*

WOW!! what amazes me is the amount of detail in that map. Its just incredible. Its going to be a pain to texture. But still I would love to see the finished product.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
Great artwork. Looks like you could really benefit from some occlusion culling in there. A binary file format might be a sensible idea too if you don't want to be storing and parsing 450MB at init time.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement