The Minas Tirith Project 56k = good luck

Started by
38 comments, last by Ysaneya 19 years, 9 months ago
Wow, nice work.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
Very good work I must say. I'm thouroughly impressed.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Really impressive :)

I wonder if it can be converted to a map for some 3D shooter though... Perhaps the Quake3 Raytracer engine can handle those polycounts.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I was enjoying the pictures until I got to the wireframe one. That's where I glanced at the framerate ... ... What machine spec is that being rendered on?

-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
I've tried scene with about 1.1 mil polygons in my engine and got about 4 fps when everything was on the screen.
When I turned on wireframe, my fps dropped down to 1 or 2 :)
I've also used .ase file which had more than 400 megs (3 decimals precision)...
What kind of culling algo are you using? And what are system spec?
I've received a few more buildings ( in a different part of the city ), couple of new screens:

Now to the questions:

Quote:
Amazing! How do multiple people work on the same model though? Is it built in parts that the moddelers can check out so there won't be time conflicts?

Everybody works on the part he wants to. They are working from pictures and photos of the LOTR movie. To synchronize they use this map.

Quote:
Wow, that's really cool. Modeling an entire city just for fun? Does that mean people will someday be able to download it themselves to look at or walk through? That'd be cool. I'd love to see that thing textured.

That's the idea, yeah.. and for the textures... i agree. But i doubt it will be done anytime soon..

Quote:
Incredible. What sort of culling algorithms are you using on that?

and
Quote:
I was enjoying the pictures until I got to the wireframe one. That's where I glanced at the framerate ... ... What machine spec is that being rendered on?

All these shots were taken from an Athlon 2.4 Ghz and a "simple" Radeon 9700. There's surprizingly very little visibility work done - only frustum culling at the moment. I plan to add LOD and occlusion culling (via occlusion queries) when the model will grow bigger.

The screens were all taken with antialiasing x4. No texture, and 3 directional light sources (per-vertex). Code uses OpenGL with VBO/IBO.

Quote:
Great artwork. Looks like you could really benefit from some occlusion culling in there. A binary file format might be a sensible idea too if you don't want to be storing and parsing 450MB at init time.

Agreed, occlusion culling shouldn't be too hard to code, maybe if i have time this week end. I've just finished implementing a custom binary file format, so now i've taken the whole scene back to 50 Mb.

Y.

[Edited by - Ysaneya on June 17, 2004 10:08:08 AM]
Is this the same group that started a Minas Tirith project on CGTalk awhile back?
Holy crap! Awsome. Definately have to keep this up to date... can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done, and textured...
Quote:
Is this the same group that started a Minas Tirith project on CGTalk awhile back?

Yeah :)
What's so cool about the frame rate? It's normal for a non textured model.
Anyway, great work, but I want to see it textured :)
And then Yann will show you some even better looking screenshots, running twice as fast :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement