• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahw

Writing for MMORPG

4 posts in this topic

Since I don''t have the actual experience of MMORPG (PAYING for playing an IRC meets Diablo games ???) I''d like to hear from people-who-know about the kind of plots that is developed in MMORPG. Is there a global quest everyybody tries to solve. Is the system mission based. Are the quests missions repetitive, do they "respawn" ("OMG ! The princess has been kidnapped ! AGAIN !") It would be very interesting to compare this with single player. Also, how plays BAldur''s gate in multiplayer, and Vampire ? Would they be more as an MMORPG, or as a single player story ?

the graphical MMORPGs are basically hack & slash for the most part. The quests in everquest are repetitious, so they just thrive on player-to-player interaction while they kill stuff together. I think most text-based MUDs I've played have repetitious plots also. Although sometimes the moderators will make special quests as they control NPCs and such.

In Baulder's Gate, you have a party of up to 6 people. Each person can control more than 1 PC if there's less than 6 ppl. It's basically a single-player game but more than 1 person is controlling the PCs. The person who starts the game has a lot of control. Like person who starts the game can make it so only he/she can talk to NPCs, etc.

Edited by - Nazrix on September 10, 2000 7:03:55 PM

I jsut read a review of Acheron''s call on gamespy.com, and I must say I thought that was very intresting. This is a good answer to the person who was asking of MMORPG should end.

As well, I''d like to revive this thread and ask you, on the knoweldge of the 36 situations I pointed to, and on the quest analysis and other thread I started, would/is it much different to make interesting plots for MMORPG.
Could we give more power to the players (even if it''s only to moderators) to create interesting events ?
And how would we create events without resorting to the simplistic systems (door, monster, treasure)?
Could we really make a decent plot for hundreds of persons to play a prat in ? Or do we make a nicely crafted 6 persons event, that tons of 6 persons party will go through ?

Text-based freeform roleplaying.

Anything can happen. Everything does. People create plots, either deliberately, or inadvertantly, as a simple result of them roleplaying their character in a world full of other independently-controlled characters.

It''s pretty darn cool, but I''m entirely sure that it counts as a ''game''. More like real-time interactive fiction...

-Moth

Well, the problem is, can you trust your players to play for the sake of the roleplay, and thus give them more freedom.

When you look/listen to all the stuff going on, I don''t know if it can be done yet. There is an incredible amount of morons out there that are jsut as bored online as they are in RealLife and think messing around is funny. On the other, they are a necessary evil, and after all, without the haunting image of a Player Killer, would the lives of virtual adventurers be exactly the same ?

My question was more, in arestricted environment such as an MMORPG, how the heck do you organise your quests/missions/whatever so that they provide entertainment without looking like stupid respawning events (the princess being kidnapped every full moon ?)

youpla :-P