2D polygon collision detection and rigid body dyna

Started by
42 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 8 months ago
This is great work, love the demos. I'd like to put this kind of stuff into my games sometime :)
Advertisement
Hmm, I'm having some problems building the projects!? I have both VC6 and VC7. I tried building it in VC7. But I got errors like:

error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'u_int'

Where's u_int defined!?

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Quote:
Let me give you some advice. You seem to post a lot of info here for free, and it's your right to do so, but consider who's reading your articles. One, people who are competing with you in the game development business (you are in this for profit, correct?) And two, people that have no business writing games, because they're not good at it. This has negative effects in the community. It creates a lot of noise which makes it harder for legitimate developers to get noticed. It floods the market with poor quality games which in turn makes the consumers reluctant to try more independent games. So I ask you to reconsider your position. You have talent, that's great, but don't give the answers to the jocks and retards, it's really not helping.

allow me to strongly disagree. people like oliii are what make an indie community possible at all. most people who use this wont even be flooding anything, but just learning from it in general. but as other said, true excellence will never have problems rising to the top. unless there is something or somone censoring it...

oliii, this is quality stuff, i have never seen such a torough rigid body dynamics tutorial WITH implementation. stuff like this is going to make you famous in the indy community, im sure :)
hey olii the article and the demo are really, really impressive. I really appreciate the fact that you have released and continue to release extremely interesting demos along with their source.

Hmm i just tried to compile the demos using VC6 and i have the same problem as MindWipe...
sorry, u_int is, as you should have guessed :) unsigned int, for lazy typers like myself. It should be define at the top of the Vector.h.

It's all to do with multiple versions of the files, from one demo to another.

typedef unsigned int u_int;

thanks for the feedback. I'll be writing some general optimisations next. keeping the 2D scroller design in mind, I'm thinking of a broad-phase collision filter, and a generic collision system design. Some optimised code for points, segments, and boxes.

Everything is better with Metal.

Yeah, ofcourse u_int is unsigned int.

Hmm, but there's more problems. Tried to build ex1 and ex7, neither worked. But surly you must have a buildable version of them all!?

I'm sure we'd all LOVE to get our hands on buildable versions of all examples. Because as said: Those demos are truly amazing.

/MindWipe
hey oliii thanks! im able now to compile all the 8 examples, MindWipe try adding to the top of vector.h the lines:

typedef unsigned short int u_short;

one problem i do have however is that the demos i compile run much much slower than the files in the bin folder, even when compiled in release mode, are there any aditional compiler optimizations i can activate? thanks again for the great demos
the bins are just straight off the pot. A VC6 release build, with optimisations left as they were, copy and paste into the bin folder.

as for buildable versions, Here again, I don't understand. the demos don't reference anything else than the GLUT, and the basic windows stuff for keyboard inputs.

if there is a problem porting the project to .NET, the project is just all the files in the source directory, nothing more.

for the slow down, could be an issue with the OpenGL rendering support, if it is that much slower. Maybe you have a different version of GLUT than the one I used in the bin folder, which could somehow conflict. Remove the DLL from the bin folder and see.

Also, maybe I'm running defferent service pack than you.

I run through every one of them, build them.

I have a radeon 9800 pro, Athlon 1700+. What's your rig? What are the build errors?

could also be to do with the glut timers. they are suppose to update ever 60th of a second. It's setup in the main.cpp file. You can tweak the update speed that way and see if it cures it.

Yay! Now it all works!!

Added:

typedef unsigned short int u_short;

to vector.h as AP said. Thanks. VC7 had some more problems though... hrmp. But now they all work perfectly to build in VC6. Thanks alot!!

/MindWIpe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement