Check out my game, its finally released!!!!!

Started by
36 comments, last by Ainokea 19 years, 9 months ago

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the responses, its nice to hear that people like it, and not so nice to hear that so many people are having problems. But thats why I released this version, to get an idea of how its working for the public.

For those having problems, I will be resuming work on this game when I get a chance, there are so many things on the list that I want to improve. I'm sorry to hear that it is not working, I really have no idea why, I would have to dig into the camera code because thats what seems to be causing problems for you.

As for the car control, and car speed, please keep in mind that your steering an RC Car and not a real car. I agree the handling could be better, more user friendly, but deadlines got the better of me.

By the way, this project took 7 months to complete, time was the biggest obstacle. Keep in mind this was done for 1 of my 5 courses to many short cuts had to be taken to complete the original design on time.

For those interested in the technical here a bit on info.

Rendering: OpenGL
Model Format: 3DS
Optimizations include:
Frustrum culling by object (ex. a plant)
Distance culling by object
Vertex arrays (yet to implement VBO)

Collision: Collision model is culled similar to rendering,
no trees were used because of time restrictions.
Car to wall - oriented ellipsoid vs poly
Car to Car - oriented ellipsoid vs OBB

Audio: Coded by Radek Koncewicz, using FMOD library. 3D accelerated if supported.

Menus: Custom made by Pat Crawford.

Music: Custom

Physics: Standard physics forces applied to vehicle (as single entity) No suspension/tire modeling even though it appears there is.

Camera: Quaternion based 3rd person camera.

PS. try pressing f1, f2 and f3.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by graveyard filla
that seems smiliar to me. i have almost the very latest cat drivers w / radeon 9600. when the race first starts, the camera spins around like mad crazy and then it stops, and when i press accelerate the screen turns all black... its a shame because this game looks sweet =)

I'm having the exact same problem, but on a GeForce3.
I have

p4 2.4c radeon 9700 pro

I can start a race, and here is how it goes:

1. the camera shakes in a random way, as if the look-at vector is not set.

2. the camera then stabilizes when GO appears.

3. as soon as i press the UP key, the screen goes black except for the HUD.

4. when i press ESC(natural reflex) the stats are displayed. Maximum speed shows something like 98007876567889090000 and Max Gs shows 1.#$"/ which is clearly a variable with undefined content.

Good luck!
ph0ng^_^wh0ng
Very Cool...nice job man :)

----------

Any news? Bugfixes? Addon packs? A sequel? ;)

Ouch
Writing errors since 10/25/2003 2:25:56 AM
Great game I didn't run into any problems at all with my comp and my comp is considered "old" my best lap was 37.36 on the first track. One problem I did notice with the game though... How many laps are there, and when I quit my money went negative instead of earning. Maybe thats cause I quit though not sure, I was on lap 15 and wanted to come post about the game. Keep up the good work.

P3 1ghz
384 sd ram
Geforce 2 64mb
Hey, it's a lot of fun. Good work.

I had no problem. My config:

Athlon XP 2000+
GF4 Ti4200 64 MB
256 MB DDR RAM
WinXP Pro

You earn 10 $ for every lap below the target time, and when collide, your car damages. And this needs repair money. Am I right?

One thing I don't understand: in your cars.ini file the buggy's data seem to be a reals car data not a small RC one's. It would be better to use realistic data.
If you use an acceptable tyre model even without suspension or weight transfer, it will be much better. For example using Pacejka model, but only for the lateral behaviour of the tyre if you don't want longitudinal spinout/skid/slide (which is right?). It's very easy to apply. You can find data in the car.ini of the Racer game.
Worked fine on my comp. Only problem I had was the controls were to sensitive. ratings++.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement