Sad Piano Music

Started by
12 comments, last by Julio 19 years, 9 months ago
Can anyone recommend sad Piano music? I'm looking for some music which is similar to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
Advertisement
There's nothing like it. NOTHING. If anyone says otherwise then they're liars.
Hmm. I've never thought of Moonlight Sonata as sad.

There's some seriously minor Bach, but it's mostly organ, though conversion is of course easy. Fugue in D minor is one of my faves. I've also seen some very nice arrangements of Irish folk music that sounds semi-classical when in the correct context, such as "Oh Danny Boy" and "The Minstrel Boy". Strauss can do some slow stuff, though like Moonlight Sonata it's not terribly sad imho. Grieg has some fairly minor stuff though it sounds more angry than sad, really. I've always thought Norwegian Concerto sounded a little sad (Tschaikovsky), though it can be a beast to play if you get the real version and you're not a fairly high level pianist.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Check out Tchaikovsky's The Seasons (a suite for kids) - Novemeber is pretty darn sad (as is June or July - I forget). Michelle by The Beatles is also pretty darn sad IMO. Also, some opuses by Chopin (I never remember them). Beethoven's Sonate Pathetique (13th sonata), first movement is saddish (I presonally like it a lot) as well as Appassionata (number 23), again the first movement. If I remember more, I'll post them.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Quote:Original post by felisandria
Hmm. I've never thought of Moonlight Sonata as sad.

Yeah its probably because it wasn't written to be sad. If I remember correctly, Beethoven wrote it for a lady-friend. Perhaps a girlfriend.
I never actually actually considered Moonlight Sonata sad, creepy and esoteric if you ask me, but that is just me.

I would suggest "Ah! My Goddess - Teardrops", that to me is sad.
Here is a quick midi I've uploaded to let you hear.

Enjoy.
I always liked this song. [smile] Aeris' Theme is still the saddest song in existence though ... it's at least partly piano, I guess. [wink]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Thanks for the replies.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, there's a Piano piece that I quite like, it's called Via Purifico (I think) from Final Fantasy X. It's played when Yuna is captured by Seymour and you run around in the underground tunnels trying to find a way out.
Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
I always liked this song. [smile] Aeris' Theme is still the saddest song in existence though ... it's at least partly piano, I guess. [wink]

Thanks a ton for posting that! I will start playing that as soon as possible!
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
I always liked this song. [smile][wink]
OMFG, I love that song too. I even learned how to play it on piano really well. (It's not really sad though)

EDIT: I'm going to have to change this. The way that guy in your link plays it, it does sound sad.

[Edited by - Tron3k on June 23, 2004 10:43:22 PM]
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement