Questionable subject matter

Started by
22 comments, last by DecipherOne 19 years, 8 months ago
It's a beautiful idea. Though on the surface it appears to be a psycological journey type of game it seems to me it takes on the subject of violence in games. I have a hard time seeing people having objections to it morally when the purpose is to impart a message of morality. The problem then becomes one less of appropriate subject matter and one of being appealing to the audience. Can you impart your message without seeming preachy? Will the people that hear rumours about the game still want to see what it's about?
Advertisement
Auron: I have thought of that before, a sort of creature ecology in games, but in order for it work right it would require a lot of time and effort and unless it was going to be a major part of game its just not worth the effort.

I agree that a story like this has to be well written in order to work but that is a part of most games where story is important. subtle hints and suggestion would be important and make things all the more interesting. Since unlike in movies where there is a twist ending and when you rewatch you can catch the hints as to the twist. In this project I think it would better if the twist is only revealed if the player notices and pursues the clues.

Chokki: I'm not concerned with replay created by story, to be honest I'm not sure how many people replay games based on the story. In general its interesting gameplay and the promise of new challenges and discoveries to made that get people to replay a game.

kseh: Yes, in many ways it deals with the subject of violence in games, espically the fact that player take for granted the fact the in games the character are granted a mandate from heaven that states that all their actions are correct and that if something looks like monster then you should kill it.
(one more small opinion)
I have to say thought that the mandate from heaven thing is a bit... well... I'd find it tough to swallow if I was a person playing the game. The sight element is good but I suggest somehow having the main character discover or otherwise achieve this power rather than it just being handed to him. Maybe have the elder provide the tools and let the main charcter find his own path of self destruction.
Sounds like a great game plot IMHO...
Quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
As well as that the people in the community are all delusions representing parts of the main characters mind own mind.

...up until this point. Being raised in a real bizarre cult could be used to provide an explanation for the hero's insanity. It would also be a nice epilogue (or boss level) to have the (recovering) hero confront this community and face the demons of his childhood, making it possible to start a new life.

I like the idea. Almost like a modernized Greek tragedy;-)
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
It is a great idea. If a movie that goes "that far" isn't "too far", then why should a game that goes "that far" be considered "too far"?

I say, congratulations on the great idea. Now go get to work on your game ;)

(and please make a version for *nix ;))
It is a great idea, I don't know why but I relate this idea to mememto and unbreakable. In the unbreakable case, maybe you have the ability to see what evil things they are about to do. But it doesn't seem to justify you killing them.

Have you thought about the actual game play? I can understand that you see monster images on the targets, but they would be just sitting around doing normal things. How much fun is it to snipe them and hide? What is the challenge? What are the actions you envisioned?

In movies, you would have to spend a lot of time on presenting why you have chosen the target (your investigation, discovery, plans on how to get close to the target,...) But I don't see how these would work in a game.
dude, awesome story. very cool. too many happy stories these days.
Not only do I think "inappropriate" games are good, I think they're necessary for the advancement of gaming as an art form. Art pushes boundaries - makes people think outside a box. But art cannot put you in the place of a subject, forcing you to make the same decisions that they would. You can watch Schindler's List and imagine "Would I do the same thing, losing everything but my car, for a chance to help these people? Would I keep the car?"

Actually, in that vein, that could be a good game: SimDeathcamp. In the genre of a Maxis sim game, but set as the operator of a Nazi deathcamp/factory. Demonstrate how killing, slavery, etc. can be broken down into simple logistics and dehumanized numbers. The player gets to make the same decisions that a Nazi industrialist might have.

Gaming is art. Some good art explores the parts of humanity that we don't like to admit exist. Too often we simply call someone "evil" and imagine that they're an inhuman monster, which is a fallacy. We're all human. Exploring the bad things humans do and why they do them in a tasteful, serious manner could make for a good, artistic game.

The internet allows a game to be more than just pop-art in the malls, the electronic equivalent of the latest Britney Spears album. It can provide new, eye-opening experiences, and allow people to think and make decisions in new ways.

Gaming can be interactive art.
-- Single player is masturbation.
It's a very good plotline, and could a great game if done right. I also think it would sell very well, but would be tagged as a very mature game like silent hill or GTA:Vice City.

As for the part of going too far: I don't think it is going too far, at least not for the first time. What I''m trying to say is that there have been other stories published with very similar plotlines, and they have been well received (more or less). If you've seen the movie "Secret Window" then you'll know what I'm talking about.

It's the kind of story that keeps you guessing. But more importantly, it's the kind of story that keeps you thinking... long after the story has ended. If you can deliver that, then you should consider yourself successful, since while they may not like all the plot twists, they still won't forget them.
--------------------------------------------------Never tempt fate, fate has no willpower.
Yup, except that Secret Window was a bad movie. I think the big point is this: gratuitous extremity is bad, but if it is being done in a conscious, intelligent way, then it can be very, very good. Nobody complained about nudity and violence in Schindler's List.
-- Single player is masturbation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement