The Problem With Papyrus. Rant.

Started by
12 comments, last by Salsa 19 years, 9 months ago
Warning: This is a Rant. This has really been getting on my nerves for the last few weeks. It started probably three weeks ago, when I was in the local theater waiting for Shrek 2 to start. Sitting there with my two younger siblings, I noticed that the ad that was being displayed used the vanilla Papyrus font that comes with Windows. Deciding to flex my geekery a bit, I asked my brothers, "Can you name that font?" One says, "What's a font?" The other says, "Uh... .... ... ragged?" "No, it's called Papyrus," I said. Another victory for someone with way too many fonts installed on their computer. When I got home that night, I was paging through the mail for the day. Lo and behold, a magazine I get had a spot for a book on the back. The book cover was using the same Papyrus font for its title text. I was like, woah, that's weird. I also thought it was odd that someone would use such a common font for the cover of their book. A few days later I was driving into town, and I saw ... Papyrus on a billboard! The next friggen day I'm in Church, and the Pastor is displaying a little video. Volia! Papyrus projected on the wall! I'm like, what the heck? This last week I have spotted the Papyrus font four different times. Twice at a craft show, being used on a vendor's sign and on another vendor's actual product, once on a bag of popery that was purchased from Wal-Mart, and once today on a signature for a user at another forum I frequent. What the heck is going on? Did I develop Papyrii-Vision? It's not that I have anything against this font, at least, none in particular. It's an attractive font, but jeez, when you're developing a commercial product maybe you should do something besides grab the coolest font off of your windows install? It's also ironic that, as I was writing this I decided to include a picture of the font for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about. Oddly enough, I don't even have it installed on my XP machine, but it is on my 98 machine. Moral of the story? Hit up LarabieFonts.com for a font, rather than just skimming through what Windows gives you.
[Slime] I saw a headline on the newspaper today: "Horrific Rape in Alley", or something.[Slime] I was like "Is there any other kind of rape?"[Slime] "HILARIOUS RAPE AS CLOWN SODOMIZED"
Advertisement
Thus endeth the lesson.
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
A while back I started noticing the same thing. Papyrus really is everywhere. I've seen it in the signs for stores in strip malls, in brochures, on the web, if I remember right, I even saw it on the package of something at the grocery store. A friend and I made it a game to try to spot Papyrus wherever we went.

A few weeks ago, a web design client needed the name of their company in the typeface Algerian. Now, I've started to see it everywhere too.

I agree with you. Whenever I see something in a default, novelty typeface, it says "amateur" to me.

Andy
Quote:Original post by aleclair
I agree with you. Whenever I see something in a default, novelty typeface, it says "amateur" to me.

Andy

Absolutely, that's exactly what I think. Basically, if I see a font I can name, it usually gives me a negative feeling about whatever I'm looking at (the exception being if someone has used a nice font like Georgia).
[Slime] I saw a headline on the newspaper today: "Horrific Rape in Alley", or something.[Slime] I was like "Is there any other kind of rape?"[Slime] "HILARIOUS RAPE AS CLOWN SODOMIZED"
Yep, Papyrus IS everywhere.
Ra
Arial or Helvetica? | A quiz from iliveonyourvisits.com
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Arial or Helvetica? | A quiz from iliveonyourvisits.com

Flunked. :(

Interesting article though. I actually prefer Helvetica over Arial for my design projects.
Between Papyrus, Bank Gothic, and Copperplate, about 2/3 of movies and TV shows are covered. And the worst part is, nobody's ever impressed by extensive knowledge of fonts.

For my money, you can't beat Garamond. Old-style serifs are the shiznit.
With any luck it will replace comic sans.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by SneftelFor my money, you can't beat Garamond. Old-style serifs are the shiznit.

I like Garamond for titles and header fonts, but I can't stand it for regular text. The movable type syndrome, I call it.

Quote:Original post by smart_idiotWith any luck it will replace comic sans.

Comic Sans is good for one thing, and one thing only.

Comics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement