Sign in to follow this  
mokhans

Terrain Engine in D3D

mokhans    122
Hi, I'm building Terrain engine in D3D.I've made a mesh myself using Triangles,Infact a Grid.I was just thinking that is there anyother way to build the mesh like we specify some points,Let's say 6-8 points and it generates mesh for us.I've seen a topic in DXSDK named "High Order Primitives",Can we use it for making Terrain?.Thanks. Owais.

Supernat02    604
Is your question about a function that will create a grid of spaced vertices for you, allowing you to provide the spacing value? I don't believe so. That's fairly easy to write mathematically though.

However, for height issues, there are a lot of examples on height maps, which you may find to be a valid solution to your problem. You can also find information on perlin noise, midpoint displacement, and other fractal algorithms capable of randomly creating terrain heights. Once you have that under your belt, you can look into geomipmapping and ROAM algorithms for displaying your terrain efficiently.

Good luck,
Chris

d000hg    1199
If you have a grid of points, but much less detailed ie further apart than currently, you can use those points to build a curved surface for each 3x3(I think) subsection of the grid.

mokhans    122
How can i use those points to build a curved surface for each 3x3 subsection of the grid.Please,tell me where can i get working examples on it? or on High Order Primitives.Thanks.