Sign in to follow this  
dacypher

Is this compiler complete?

OK, just starting with game programming, and I got "Beginning C++ Game Programming". I have no idea if it is a good book ( it was one of the only game programming books at the book store with a CD ), but that's not the issue. It came with Dev-C++ on the included CD, which was about 45MB installed. Is this a complete compiler, or just enought to use the book? Maybe I am living in the past ( haven't been programming for about 8 years ), with compilers costing $150+. Seems odd that a book for $30 would include an intire working compiler. I know some folks suggested Dev-C++ for me in another post, but I was wonderng if I need to simpply use what I got with the book, or go somewhere else for a download. I am really not sure of what I am looking for, as I am not familiar with C++, to tell if it is complete. Thank you!

You might probably want to get the latest version of Dev C++. I don't know how old that book is, but make sure you use the latest version. Check here.

As Dev C++ itself, although IMO not the best, it's good enough for a free IDE. What do you mean by 'complete'?

edit: ah smart_idiot beats me to it.

It's complete in that it will compile C++ source code if that's what you mean. Out of the box, Dev-C++ will compile Windows programs, console programs and OpenGL programs and has access to the STL.

Newer versions of Dev-C++ will come with more recent versions of the compiler, an improved interface and other goodies. If you want support for stuff like DirectX and other assorted libraries, you can run the updater in the newer versions of Dev-C++ and choose to download those library packages as well as documentation packages containing the docs for those packages as well as for the STL, OpenGL and so on.

All of this is 100% free (aside from download time I suppose).

I'd say that's pretty complete.

-Auron