[.net] a question about the editor in game programming

Started by
7 comments, last by feiyurainy 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone, I want to now if there is a better way to make a game editor under .net platform, for example,world editor or model editor. I don't want to use the MFC to make it. thank you
Advertisement
you could always use window forms, or, (though i know nothing about them) look up WTL and ATL (those should be similar to mfc iirc) but i dont know for sure to tell the truth
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
.NET is (and will get even) better than MFC. Coding style & development time are superior. Plus, .NET can be used in multiple languages.
In .NET you use Windows Forms and not MFC (I supose it is possible to use with p/invoke, but that would be plain dumb).
If you don't have VS.NET try SharpDevelop it has the same nice forms designer.
-----------------SloGameDev.net | My homepageQ:What does a derived class in C# tell to it's parent?A:All your base are belong to us!
Quote:In .NET you use Windows Forms and not MFC (I supose it is possible to use with p/invoke, but that would be plain dumb).

No, it may be useful to integrate a user control built with MFC.
The Sands of Time Are Running Low
Maybe so, but using MFC for building windows, buttons and the like is simply wrong (in .NET of course)
-----------------SloGameDev.net | My homepageQ:What does a derived class in C# tell to it's parent?A:All your base are belong to us!
You can easily make a real-time editor with Windows Forms. Just disable your game Update() function when you're in "design mode", and then in "test mode" just re-enable it.

For example, you could drag a bunch of objects from the editor into your map, then switch to FullscreenMode in DX to test out the map. Just disable Application.DoEvents(), and redirect your input to DirectInput.
"If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." -- sir Isaac Newton
There are some useful techniques, but there are some drawbacks as well. I've found rendering to a PictureBox control using Managed DirectDraw and Direct3d dead easy, for example. On the other hand, trying to specify multiple render targets as with UnrealEd isn't any easier, and you end up having to manage the rendering surfaces yourself. This isn't specifically harder, but it does seem to be a little more painful than the MFC version of things.

It is a LOT easier to add widgets to an editor, however. The Windows Forms interface is pretty much as sweet as you could possibly want it to be, and delegates provide an excellent way to hook multiple events to a single source. This, I think, is a more useful metric of the usefulness of the environment. There is no comparison in the GUI capabilities present in C#/Windows Forms versus C++/MFC.

ld
No Excuses
Oh thank you all of you.
I will start to learn the .net framework these days,and start with learning c#,and then windows form.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement