keyboard input in SDL

Started by
3 comments, last by PaulCunningham 19 years, 9 months ago
I'm working on a SDL/OpenGL game that is fullscreen and "grabbed." There will be times when the player has to enter string data into the keyboard. SDL_GetKeyState() doesn't seem well-suited for this as it simply gives you a bitmap of keys pressed. Is there a favored method in sdl for getting ascii data from the keyboard? Maybe even distinguish upper- and lower-case characters?
Advertisement
Every time a key is pressed you will also get an event, which you would handle in your main loop. The event structure will also indicate such things as modifier keys (shift/alt etc).
Thank you for replying. It looks like I will have to write my own input entry system, but I think I'm beginning to see how to do this. Also is there an SDL or other platform-independant way to query whether Caps Lock is on or off?
You have to use SDL_PollEvent and look for the Keyboard Events

keysym has information on states such as if shift,alt or ctrl is pressed and such.

Good Luck
This is how I do it

Every time a SDL_KEYDOWN event is received I add the key to the keyboard map and a buffer

So in my processEvents rotuine...

case SDL_KEYDOWN:
this->keyboard_device.setKeyDown(event.key.keysym.sym);

The function looks like this...

void KeyboardDevice::setKeyDown(SDLKey key)	{		//key is both pressed and down		this->key_info[key] = (KEY_PRESSED | KEY_DOWN_STATE);		//Add this key to the buffer if space available		if (this->key_buffer.size() < BUFFER_SIZE) 		{			this->key_buffer.push(static_cast<KeyCode>(key));		}	}

key_info is an array where key state is stored

key_buffer is obviously the buffer

Then simply use a getKey routine to pop the keys out of the buffer.

Cheers,Paul CunninghamPumpkin Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement