Young Game Programmer need HELP

Started by
15 comments, last by Mithoric 19 years, 9 months ago
"Best" is a word that doesnt have much of a solid definition, if you like easy languages, basic might be the "best" to you, if you want speed, ASM might be "best" to you, the only thing is, c is a pretty good balance of everything, speed, can be low or high level, calling it the best of course will be argued, but since it covers so much ground, calling it in the best in general isnt too far off
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Advertisement
thanks guys i bought the book recommended on the website beginning c++ game programming, but i have done most of this stuff already and it doesnt demonstrate any actually games written in c++ like 3D. any other recommendations
I don't think you are ready for 3D yet since you just asked for a book to learn C++. If you are bored and want to skip learning the basics and just start doing 3D then you should get out of programming because it isn't for you. If you have been spending a lot of time learning it and feel you have a grasp on it then my next question for you is do you want to use OpenGL or DirectX for 3D? Make sure you know the basics and work your way up from there or you will never get far in programming.
------------------------------------------------Please visit New World Video GamesPlease visit New World Video Game's Forums
i have done c++ b4, at university but i thought games programming in c++ was different but after reading the book i know the fundamental of c++, but i was told to go onto game programming in c++ as i have actual written a game like GUI or 3D games using c++. That is the reason i asked about learning game programming in c++ sorry if i did not my self clear.
OH, i misunderstood you, you already know c++ eh? (or at least to some degree?) well then the place you want to go to is probably Nehe, right here on gamedev they have tons of examples (using openGL) and their examples cover EVERYTHING from begginging window creation to ur first triangle to 3ds max file loading, shaders, and that stuff, if your wanting to do direct 3D, dont, im a convert to openGL, at least in the beggining openGL is MUCH better

if you dont know what im talking about, Direct 3D and OpenGL are both "graphics APIs" which are used for making games because, well, humans are a visual species, we like to see stuff, umm yeah i rambled, but check out openGL for making 3d apps (games included)
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
thanks every1. im gonna start using opengl,hopefully i will grow and learn
Well if you are already comfortable with C++ why not visit NeHe's website and have a look at OpenGL. A lot of the developers on these forums use OpenGL, there is basically an unlimited knowledge base here if you get stuck [grin]..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement