C++ Question

Started by
2 comments, last by Fen 19 years, 9 months ago
I am a newbie to games development, but have done programming in Visual Basic .NET and ASP.NET, using Visual Studio. Is Visual C++ ok for games writing, or shoudl I use another version (bearing in mind I will have to learn C++ as well!
Advertisement
Visual C++ is a nice IDE to work with and you shouldn't have any real issues with making games in it.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Honestly, I think there is too much pressure for up-and-coming gamedevs to learn C++. Unless you're interested in engine development (a field I personally find fascinating, but YMMV) I'd stick with high-level scripting languages rather than spending your time slogging through pointer-arithmetic.

Properly used to create nice data structures and objects, C++ can be as nice as any scripting language, albeit with a few syntactic stumbling points (most scripting languages handle template-type logic in much more eyeball-friendly ways). Unfortunately, C++ is usually written by a hackneyed team of OOP nuts and C diehards and so usually what comes out is a thoroughly illegible API where void-pointers and unsafe typecasting are a way of life.
-- Single player is masturbation.
Yes Visual C++ is very good IDE... but for beginnings You can use free compiler and IDE such as DEV-C++

C++ is very interesting language, but some belive that it's to slow for game development, so they prefer standard C or "C+" :)

I've read in one book that "If such games like Quake I and Unreal could be written in standard C there is no need to use sophisticated methods from C++ to create new games".
Maybe it's true...

Se my programming blog: Code and Graphics

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement