Sign in to follow this  
cocopets

I am new at gamemaking can someone explain it

Game making is a pretty big field, with a lot of different ways of doing it...could you say a bit more about the kinds of things you want to do? The process you would use to create your game depends heavily on what you want to make.

As unreason said, creating a game is no small task, you'll need to start out by learning *how* to make games which can take time and sometimes be rather complicated.

Listed below are a couple of good places to help point you in the right direction:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31

From the sounds of it you want to have several games on the site ... I'd suggest if you are doing it alone you start making one game at a time really.

First step I'd tell you to undergo it to write up in detail what the game is, it's rules, it's points, how it's played etc.
Documentation is very important and I'm sure we should be able to guide you from there on how to make it.

sounds to me like the OP wants to make one of those neopet sites, but I don't know

Tiffany_Smith posted very good links and here are some of mine (posted in other threads)

Pygame, very neat, lets you use python for game development

Pyopengl, for 3d with you guessed it OpenGL

Game Tutorials(Tons of reletive stuff)

Cpp-Home (lots of example code)

Googled them

Great 2D tutorials

Flip-Code

MSDN

NEHE 3d opengl tutorials

gamedev.net articles

while Toadhead is right, it varies greatly from person to person. for example, i dont know if this guy was lieing, but i remember someone posting that theyve only been programming for 7 months and are already working on 3d games (and he posted a link to his website, which had screen shots of all the stuff he had done.. it all looked very nice... kinda made me depressed =))

LOL making games isn't something you can randomly decide to do. I remember my first few games (Slot Machine, Text RPG, and Space Invaders with a DirectDraw engine). They all were decently hard and at times really wore down on my patience. If your gunna go into game making you gotta plan and get research and stuff.

well.. I learn C++ like 30-60 minutes each day. If that guy learned like 15 hours aday, just non-stop exept for sleaping and eating and drinking... yeah than it would be possible to know C++ good enough to make 3D games in like 5 months.. but who is crazy enough to spend so many hours aday on C++ :P

Toadhead

you know... i dug up that guys post, maybe it will make you depressed also.. OR maybe we will find out he WAS lying? i dunno, he must be some kind of freak..

heres the link to his post

now heres his website

so what do you think ?

EDIT: looking back at his website, this has got to be some kind of freak of nature or liar. honestly, just look at his website .. a 3d turn based RPG? a 3d "marble drop game". a 3d flight shooter, plus he seems to have some sort of 3d engine already completed with shaddows and such. i just dont get it. i thought i was doing good, only been programming 8 months, and im working on a 2d RPG.. so, what gives?

[Edited by - graveyard filla on July 6, 2004 3:14:32 PM]

Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
EDIT: looking back at his website, this has got to be some kind of freak of nature or liar. honestly, just look at his website .. a 3d turn based RPG? a 3d "marble drop game". a 3d flight shooter, plus he seems to have some sort of 3d engine already completed with shaddows and such. i just dont get it. i thought i was doing good, only been programming 8 months, and im working on a 2d RPG.. so, what gives?

...or maybe he spends day in and day out on making games. And maybe he doesn't crawl, but rather just learns to walk in the first place...

Quote:
Original post by DIRECTXMEN
Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla

...or maybe he spends day in and day out on making games. And maybe he doesn't crawl, but rather just learns to walk in the first place...

I don't know. I haven't seen his code but even long after 7 months many people just copy and paste code off of the 'net. Even if this isn't the case plenty of people are idle on forums (such as these) as opposed to studying and applying and then wonder why nothing gets done.