I am new at gamemaking can someone explain it

Started by
14 comments, last by Woodsman 19 years, 9 months ago
I am pretty new at gamemaking an wanting to make a vpet site. I am needing to make some games and I need someone to exlain it THANKS!!
Advertisement
Game making is a pretty big field, with a lot of different ways of doing it...could you say a bit more about the kinds of things you want to do? The process you would use to create your game depends heavily on what you want to make.
I want to make a variety of games that I can use on a vpet site that pay out points that like u play baseball por somethings like that
As unreason said, creating a game is no small task, you'll need to start out by learning *how* to make games which can take time and sometimes be rather complicated.

Listed below are a couple of good places to help point you in the right direction:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31
From the sounds of it you want to have several games on the site ... I'd suggest if you are doing it alone you start making one game at a time really.

First step I'd tell you to undergo it to write up in detail what the game is, it's rules, it's points, how it's played etc.
Documentation is very important and I'm sure we should be able to guide you from there on how to make it.
God bless-Gryfang
sounds to me like the OP wants to make one of those neopet sites, but I don't know

Tiffany_Smith posted very good links and here are some of mine (posted in other threads)

Pygame, very neat, lets you use python for game development

Pyopengl, for 3d with you guessed it OpenGL

Game Tutorials(Tons of reletive stuff)

Cpp-Home (lots of example code)

Googled them

Great 2D tutorials

Flip-Code

MSDN

NEHE 3d opengl tutorials

gamedev.net articles

Quote:Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
I hope you understand that it will cost you a few years to learn how to program and that it will cost you also alot of money (for buying books and compilers).

Toadhead
while Toadhead is right, it varies greatly from person to person. for example, i dont know if this guy was lieing, but i remember someone posting that theyve only been programming for 7 months and are already working on 3d games (and he posted a link to his website, which had screen shots of all the stuff he had done.. it all looked very nice... kinda made me depressed =))
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
LOL making games isn't something you can randomly decide to do. I remember my first few games (Slot Machine, Text RPG, and Space Invaders with a DirectDraw engine). They all were decently hard and at times really wore down on my patience. If your gunna go into game making you gotta plan and get research and stuff.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
well.. I learn C++ like 30-60 minutes each day. If that guy learned like 15 hours aday, just non-stop exept for sleaping and eating and drinking... yeah than it would be possible to know C++ good enough to make 3D games in like 5 months.. but who is crazy enough to spend so many hours aday on C++ :P

Toadhead

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement