Please - anyone - 3DS to .X (correct with textures)

Started by
7 comments, last by Trounce 19 years, 9 months ago
I have spent the last 5 hours trying to find a plugin that works with 3D Studio Max that can export .X files correctly and without errors. The Panda plugin works fine for geometry, but doesn't set up the textures right and nothing shows up as textured after it's been exported. Before you suggest Polytrans - I'm only learning DirectX. I can't rationalize dropping 400 dollars on a tool just so I can convert files to the .X format properly. I tried the demo and it worked fine, except for the fact that it deletes every 5th polygon, distorts all the textures, and won't export animations without registering first. So, am I going about this the wrong way? Is there another 3D program that can export .X files correctly? I tried Milkshape, but nothing it exported actually loaded without crashing. I figured a popular 3D program + a popular file format = easy success. But that is DEFINITELY not the case. Is there an easier way?
Advertisement
I think it may be how you are dealing with the textures that is the problem. I use the Panda exporter all the time and have no problems. The thing is the .x file does not store the texture itself but only the path. The path may be absolute not relative so you often need to play with the path to point it to the correct place. In your debug output when loading a .x file do you get 'texture not found'? When I load .x files I strip the path data down to the filename (using _splitPath) and then add on my directory where my textures are or equally if you want you could add on the directory of the .x file if that is where the texture will be held.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
I wasn't specifying a path, so it was looking for the textures in the same directory as the mesh. When I load it in my program, it doesn't have any errors, but the model is all black. In the DX Utilities Mesh viewer it's missing all its textures too.

What version of 3DSMax are you using? 6?

What if I sent you the .3ds file I'm trying to convert? Maybe you could shed some light on the problem?

Yes i can take a look if you want - I have sent you my email by Private Message.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Why not just export the 3DS file, then convert it using the conv3ds.exe tool that comes with the DirectX SDK? It would add an extra step, but from my experience, it works fine.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Quote:Original post by Trounce
When I load it in my program, it doesn't have any errors, but the model is all black. In the DX Utilities Mesh viewer it's missing all its textures too.
Make sure that you have lighting and texturing enabled. You can also enable the displaying of the texture coordinates to see if they are being skewed.

[Edited by - circlesoft on July 6, 2004 2:34:22 PM]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Why bother? Use the plugin provided with Microsoft DirectX SDK. It works - sometimes even with bones, which is not allways the case. For me, I use ActorX to export Skeletal mesh from 3DS MAX. If you do not use SKELETAL MESH but STATIC GEOMETRY like CARS or LEVELS, use the Deep Exploration software, it will convert your .MAX or .ASE to .X. Maybe you could try it also with MilkShape, which is very buggy but anyway, you might make it. Because I do not know what kind of mesh would you like to export I can not help you much.
Also, if you are using lighting, your normals might be backwards. I know 3DS and .X have varying directions for their normals (inward vs outward).
Thanks for all the tips. Deep Exploration exported an .x file that included the textures and everything worked great (whew).

One last question: None of my exports (using any exporter) seem to export material opacity. All my transparent materials show up as solids -- which looks a little ugly. What can I do to ensure my transparent polygons show up that way?

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement