Define this forum

Started by
56 comments, last by hellz 19 years, 8 months ago
Calling it "alternative game APIs" furthers the misunderstanding as to the meaning of the term "API." Unless all that we're going to discuss is "what is the function called which does X" or "what does member Y of structure Z do", it should be called Alternative Game Libraries. A library provides an API; the two are not interchangable.

I see it as a place for questions pertaining to common middleware - choosing your library, using that library, etc. Seperating the theory and technique (which can stay in the other forums) from implementing it using a specific library (which comes here).

It's a pretty unsurmountable task to try and cover *all* libraries, but all the times I see questions about "How do I initialize video in SDL?" in the GP&T forum, I've always felt like there should be somewhere else for them to go. Now they have somewhere. :) (Say... you don't feel like creating a "Common file formats" forum too, do ya? [wink])

It's not like there's not a precedent for other sites hosting forums dedicated to "third parties". Look at CGTalk - it has a seperate forum dedicated to pretty much every major CG app out there, despite the fact that some of those (such as 3DSMax) may already have 'official' discussion forums on their own site. So I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I agree, perhaps it should be called "Alternative Game Libraries". This will definately be useful, as many, many people come here (myself included) with SDL specific questions, and probably specific questions for other Alternative Libraries as well.

And I know SDL has a mailing list, but I'd rather that my mailbox not get cluttered with it. Forums are nice and encapsulated. =)
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
I agree that Libraries is a better word, but I still believe that it should be "Other Game Libraries". Alternative sounds like other choices, but many libraries can be used together with OpenGL and DirectX.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
I agree with superpig and the others, "Alternative Game Libraries" is a good choice
... and the Files Format forum sounds like a great initiative too O.O;;; Even if not everyone knows every file format, it could be a place to post questions, and people could help each other out to hunt down information on it.

Hell. I know I enjoy a good hunt, to find out how something works. I'd frequent that forum, just for the challenge!
Hrm. I think that yes, SDL is popular enough for its own forum. As for this, perhaps "Middleware and Alternative Libraries" would be better than the current title.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Why does it need to be "Alternative" or "Other"? Why not just "Game Libraries" ? Or maybe "Game Libraries and Middleware" ?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Because there are already fora for DirectX and OGL, apparently.

I think Promit had a good point there. I wouldn't call DirectX or OpenGL "Game Libraries" or "Middleware".. Both those are one step up in the abstraction (where ogl and dx is APIs)

-Mårten
SDL is a step above DX and OGL too, but it's also just an API. Still, APIs come in libraries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement