Cry for help about Microsoft DirectX usage

Started by
3 comments, last by Fani 19 years, 9 months ago
Hello! I just need to know whether to use Microsoft's DirectX in a certain application that I want to create. This is the case: I want to create a network application that sends a video file (eg. an MPEG file) over the Internet. I want my application to play out each received frame with a variable duration. The duration of each frame playout is going to be specified at the receiver's side and it is going to depend on the frame's time of reception. Can I use DirectX to do this? What are the components of DirectX that I should use in order to do this? (Would DirectShow suffice?) Thanks!
Advertisement
Hey! It seems like you would like to do streaming video. Why do you want to bother yourself with reinventing a wheel?

Google it and I'm sure you will find answer
-----

If you want to do it on your own then DPlay can send messages over Inet but it's intended to use in games.

'Sockets' might be good for you.
www.tmreality.com
Hello again!

Does DPlay mean DirectPlay? Can't DirectPlay be used for non-game applications?

Thanx!
You can use DirectPlay in any internet-application. But it depends on your needs. If the server is only sending data to 1 client at the time, then I'd say WinSock. If it's supposed to send data to multiple clients at one time, go for DirectPlay/WinSock. In the second situation, I'd recommend you to go for DirectPlay because development time. DirectPlay is meant to be easily set up as server/multi-client, where WinSock is more server/client based and you have to code a work-around to make it server/multi-client.

As for video-output, yes, you can use DirectX (to be precise: DirectShow) to output frames. I don't know about the streaming though. Try searching the DirectX documentation. (available online)
Thank you Pipo DeClown!

Does anyone else here know whether DirectX is able to perform video streaming?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement