Sign in to follow this  
risko

2D or 3D

I really don't know what to do. I learned DDraw and I only had(and have) one problem with it (see "Invisible bitmap?" in DirectX forum). But now, I am bit unsure about my situation. I really like making of 2D games, especially RTS and RPG but everytimes when I go to DirectX forum I see people having problems with D3D and not with DD (only sometimes) and I can't help them and that is disapointing me a lot. I think it is time to make a big step forward to D3D but, I don't know... If I begin with learing of D3D I have to freez my current game projects for quite long time and if I learn it I will have to remake it and it will take too much of time. Please, help. What to do?

You want to learn D3D simply because you can't help people here with their problems if you don't know it? I've got a better idea: Get off these forums altogether and get to work on your projects. (If only I could just follow my own damn advice... [grin])

I think right now, you should be focusing on your 2D and creating games with that. You'll get to a stage where you'll be able to transition smoothly from 2d to 3d.

You said that you'd have to freeze your current projects to move into 3d, to be honest with you I'd grasp the 2d basics and then move into 3d when you feel ready.

I was focussing on 3D a lot and never getting any games completed, so I stepped back into 2d and reduced a layer of complexity - things like collision detection, culling, etc became more intuitive to grasp and apply new theories to - without trying to baffle myself with extra maths.

More that that, I wanted to finish my games and felt that 2d helped me more with being able to do that (I'm actually cheating and using OpenGL in 2d-style).

If you feel you should learn 3d, then go ahead - but I think you'd be better focusing your efforts on creating a few 2d games and bringing them to completion. Not only will you feel more satisfied with the end results (completed games vs half-completed games) but you'll probably learn more about game system design that will allow you to slip into 3d with ease.

Have fun in whichever route you take :)