how can i render realistic people?

Started by
21 comments, last by thedevdan 19 years, 9 months ago
I think another important thing (though not as important as important) is skin tone. There's a certain translucent nature to human skin, which gives skin tone that fleshy color. Of course you shouldn't mimick this accurately, but I've seen some models look amazing simply by adding some special shader effects to mimick skin tone and the blending with veins and the blood flow beneath the skin.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by okonomiyaki
I think another important thing (though not as important as important) is skin tone. There's a certain translucent nature to human skin, which gives skin tone that fleshy color. Of course you shouldn't mimick this accurately, but I've seen some models look amazing simply by adding some special shader effects to mimick skin tone and the blending with veins and the blood flow beneath the skin.

Ah yeah, subsurface scattering it's called. Effective texturing can get you through, especially when you're not using facial animation and especially when you don't have too much dynamic lighting.

I think he was looking for skeletal animation though, not lighting effects :P
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by okonomiyaki

Ah yeah, subsurface scattering it's called. Effective texturing can get you through, especially when you're not using facial animation and especially when you don't have too much dynamic lighting.

I think he was looking for skeletal animation though, not lighting effects :P

True, he talked about movement in the original post, but I just wanted to bring it up :p I wish I saw more implementations of it (you're right, sub-surface scattering. I'm bad with formal definitions.) Definitely focus on movement first (with the earlier good suggestions) but don't forget about making the character glow!
wow alot of this stuff goes right over my head. is there some system or standard that people use for making characters move? like am i wasting my time defining a class that stores body angles and different motion sequences? or is that what everyone does?

regards to poser... Right now all i know is how to hardcode GL primatives and transformations and all that jazz, and i know how to read in and display a 3ds file. how would i import poser models... hmm well i know you said you convert your poser models to 3dsmax but that doesn't really solve my problem... maybe i'll just go look up skeletal animation now that i have time and see what that brings up...

thanks again
ok so my idea for drawing people IS skeletal animation... just not quite as organized... maybe i'll implement actual skeletal animation instead... but that does not solve my problem of having the skin blend well at the joints... the "Normal" vectors are off at the joints and my characters look like virtua fighter 1.

any ideas anyone?
As realistic as this?
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/p_bezerker.jpg
Quote:Original post by kaervek21
i know how to read in and display a 3ds file. how would i import poser models...

You can take a Poser model, and export it to .3ds format right from Poser. If you can load a .3ds file, then you should be good to go.
WOOPS!

I'm the AP above... Too early in the morning to remember to log in ;-)
Quote:Original post by CronoMan
As realistic as this?

That's all shader/texturing magic. Nothing to do with skeletal animation.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by CronoMan
As realistic as this?

Relativly simple to do, once you have such a model. Congrats to artist.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement