Sign in to follow this  
VThornheart

An Opening Thread: Which Lib do you use?

VThornheart    246
Okay, I figured it'd be good to do a quick opening thread so everyone can introduce what libraries they use... it'll give us all a good idea of things to come. Also, say what you're doing with it. =) I'll lead off. I'm using SDL to make a 2-D platformer game and basic engine.

Kitt3n    468
One of the most important, the STL :)

Furthermore amongst others: openAL, ogg/vorbis
and SigC++, Lua and ZLib

And for a commercial project Miles & Granny and Speedtree

Promit    13246
I'm using SDL right now, but I do almost nothing in it. SDL deals with init and kill of the platform windowing system for OpenGL. I'm planning to use it later for multithreading.

I'm going to use OpenAL for audio, but I'm nowhere near that point yet.

I've found DevIL to be enormously useful as an image loading library, and I suppose zlib, libpng, jpeglib, etc. all count indirectly.

Alpha_ProgDes    6936
actually i'm thinking about using Allegro after i finish figuring out DirectDraw (6.1).

for some reason, i like to know how to do the low level stuff (but not like assembly) before going into more general programming (like SDL / Allegro). anyone thinks that's a bone head thing to do?

23yrold3yrold    941
Quote:
Original post by tareco
Allegro and DUMB.

I think I recognize your username from another forum. [smile]

I'm all about Allegro, personally. I'm using it to make a commercial 2D platformer right now. I'm probably going to pick up a bit of SDL though, just so I know WTF people are talking about in my own forum. [smile]

markr    1692
Allegro for everything except for OpenGL stuff (I've not really done anything serious in OpenGL yet), where I have been using SDL, it really does help.

I haven't compared Allegro and SDL's abilities for 2d software rendering, but I think I will just stick with Allegro for such things anyway.

Allegro is easy.

Mark

FrankyR    154
I have used Allegro for all of my game programming to date. Lately I've been playing around with more OpenGL (through both AllegroGL and the windows api).
For music I've used dumb on my last few games.

Auron    328
I'm an Allegro junkie from back in the days when Allegro was pretty much a DOS-only library. I still really like it and plan to use it with AllegroGL for my next real project.

Right now, most of my coding uses GLUT/GLUI with the Cg libraries and DevIL.

-Auron

wannabean333    122
I use a modified version of the 2d directx engine from Windows Game Programming for Dummies. I've added a whole lot of new features to it, and I am satisfied with its simplicity.

Yeah, I know.... directdraw....

however, i added alpha maps, high quality sound, and a whole lot of other little things.

smart_idiot    1298
Allegro was the first graphics API I used way back when it was pretty much DOS only. I've developed strange, and probably unhealthy, psychological attachment to it. I'm a huge supporter, even if SDL is better. But you didn't hear that from me.

Silly SDL. You can't even draw a line without needing additional libraries.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
DevLib :

http://www.devlib-central.org/