An Opening Thread: Which Lib do you use?

Started by
45 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 9 months ago
Okay, I figured it'd be good to do a quick opening thread so everyone can introduce what libraries they use... it'll give us all a good idea of things to come. Also, say what you're doing with it. =) I'll lead off. I'm using SDL to make a 2-D platformer game and basic engine.
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
Advertisement
One of the most important, the STL :)

Furthermore amongst others: openAL, ogg/vorbis
and SigC++, Lua and ZLib

And for a commercial project Miles & Granny and Speedtree

visit my website at www.kalmiya.com
I'm using SDL right now, but I do almost nothing in it. SDL deals with init and kill of the platform windowing system for OpenGL. I'm planning to use it later for multithreading.

I'm going to use OpenAL for audio, but I'm nowhere near that point yet.

I've found DevIL to be enormously useful as an image loading library, and I suppose zlib, libpng, jpeglib, etc. all count indirectly.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
actually i'm thinking about using Allegro after i finish figuring out DirectDraw (6.1).

for some reason, i like to know how to do the low level stuff (but not like assembly) before going into more general programming (like SDL / Allegro). anyone thinks that's a bone head thing to do?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Python: PyGame, numarray, PyOpenGL.
C++: Boost
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
My list:
GLFW for OS API abstraction
Audiere for sound
Corona is nice for image loading
zlib & unzip together for archive reading.
TinyXML for XML parsing.
Using SDL for window management, i.e. starting OGL
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion
Using SDL for window management, i.e. starting OGL

Same here
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
irrlicht, fmod, ODE
Allegro and DUMB.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement